Victorilux EL84 3x10 or Double Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nolenuttt, Feb 29, 2008.

1. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Help-No dealers anywhere around, and I think I've narrowed it down to these two in the tweed amp field-Anyone done a comparison as far as clean headroom, overdrive sounds, and overall fun factor? I play Lesters and Strats, and an occasional Tele, and do blues and classic rock-Also, which has more gain? Do the trem and reverb give the edge to the Victorilux? Please give me your suggestions-Thanks!!

2. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

That Victorilux really isn't part of the 'tweed amp field'.

3. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Okay-Fair enough-Have you ever compared the two tone-wise?

4. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Look in the emporium- there's an EL-84 Victorilux for sale and the post includes some sound clips that nails the EL-84 tone. I think the poster's name is jpastras.

I MUCH prefer the Victoriette and Victorilux to the more traditional tweed Victorias. There's the reverb and the trem added, and, in general, the Victorilux and Victoriette more closely emulate Blackface amps than the tweeds (like the Double Deluxe). That difference will be magnified with the EL-84 Victoriette/ Victorilux (as oppossed to the 6L6 versions). They do have the more jangly, lighter tones associated with El-84 tubes.

5. jetlag

jetlag Member

If you are looking for a tweed sounding thing and want a victoria, I think their double deluxes are great sounding amps. I play a lot of old tweeds and have trouble finding new amps that sound the least bit inspiring. Most of the DDs I've played I really liked. I think the key is getting speakers in it that work for you (the RI jensens that the newer DDs ship with might not cut it for you), and then setting up the tubes to your liking - the rectifier and V1. I would definitely put a 12AY7 in V1 to give you more useable dial before the thing starts really breaking up. What's cool about DD's (and I don't even own one so I'm not being a cheerleader here) is that they separate the 4 6V6s in the output section with two cathode bias resistor/cap networks. What this does is allow you to use two matched pair instead of quads, which greatly expands the field for NOS tubes if you so desire. I think trying something like a pair of JJs (lots of headroom) with a pair of blackplate RCAs (sweetest mids ever made in a tube) might yield some cool results. Good luck!

6. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

the double deluxe and victorilux are completely different animals. As everyone stated, the victorilux does the cleans, the double deluxe does the breakup. I didn't like the way the victorilux breaks up as well as the tweeds. Here's a monkey wrench, how bout the Regal II by victoria. That is my favorite victoria model yet. Nice cleans, and breaks up amazingly, and you can tailor the breakup point with different tube configurations, 5-35 watts.
    And, as far as tweeds, I always liked a 5751 in V1 of my victorias. A 12ay7 will take things down even further.

7. Brien

Brien Member

Do you have a chance to play them? They really are different amps. They're both great in their own ways. The DD actually has a very cool clean sound with attitude, as well as a great driven sound. The Victorilux is a little more polite.

8. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I don't know if it's still there but there was a Vicky DD in the Emporium this past week for a crazy low price. Worth scooping up.

You DO need to experiment a fair amount however with speaker and tubes.

Also I like to add a touch of reverb to my tweed tone to sweeten it and give it a nicer body. You could get a number of decent reverb pedals now. I know most will disagree with adding reverb to a DD, but don't knock it til you've tried it!