Victory Amps: Popularity on TGP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by petty1818, Nov 27, 2017.

1. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

Did you see how many ads they have in that rag .

2. Serenity

Serenity Member

If it bothers you that much, Victory also have 4 handwired amps in their lineup. And for someone who's not willing to have a discussion, you sure do like hammering on with your point of view.

108 and DMVGuitar like this.
  3. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

You're not missing anything. Hand wired vs PCB as a per se basis of what is a better amp is stupid. There are builders who use PCB and do a solid job. Those who nay say for that reason alone are as goofy as those who claim "tone is in the fingers." What I mean is some in the guitar committee latch onto "axioms" that are just catchphrases or opinions. Fine to hold an opinion but please be informed and be able to articulate a position.

petty1818 likes this.
  4. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

Premier Guitar is a decent publication. I highly doubt Shawn Hammond is going to give is him editorial direction based on the ads a sponsor places. PG is known as a straight shooter for good reason.

5. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah wrong mag:spit

6. petty1818

petty1818 Member

For what it's worth, someone just posted this on the Victory owners Facebook page. It has to do with the tube sockets being mounted to PCB's in the V40. This came directly from Martin Kidd at Victory:

In the old days this was a problem but advances in PCB materials have completely cured this issue.
    We use the best FR4 PCB material which is rated way above the temperature a valve works at.
    Couple that with double sided track so the bases are soldered both sides and using porcelain bases on large pads, they are as reliable as chassis mounted versions, (in our opinion, actually more reliable).
    We also secure the PCBs with brass standoffs at multiple stages around each base so warping is not possible.
    The lead-free solder we use now also has a higher melting point than the old lead stuff so this re-enforces the long-term reliability.

108, panther_king and Serenity like this.
  7. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Still, it does show that the V40 Deluxe combo has made the top of the gear list in two publications.

DMVGuitar and Bluesful like this.
  8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

How do you know that Victory amps either have done that, or will do that?

Serenity and petty1818 like this.
  9. panther_king

panther_king Member

Apparently, #1 on the UK rock charts for the single 'Catalyst', #8 for the Catalyst EP, and #22 in the US Billboard charts for their Centered and One EP.

..so, you know, that's something.

Ian Alderman and 108 like this.
  10. jimmynorrisjr

jimmynorrisjr Member

The design of the compact series was more about portability. They’re building tube amps that are small and light enough to carry on to an airplane, but still sound “right”. They also have hand wired amps if you are more picky about tone and want to spend more money. If you don’t like them don’t buy them. You also dont have to troll them either. I love my Countess. Every new place I play, the sound guy is the first to come over saying it’s one of the best sounding amps he’s had to work with. Just throw a mic in front of it and it’s golden. I’m saving up for a Kraken, then maybe a V130. Take that as you will.

11. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Where are the new models they announced in January? Been waiting for Super Kraken reviews but nada since then. Release the ****ing super Kraken,

12. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Other than this thread have only heard positives here about that brand. So I would categorize Victory as TGP approved so far...

13. Serenity

Serenity Member

Available to pre-order. Andertons website says they'll have them 20th September.

14. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

They're a fairly new company and not widely distributed in North America so that's probably why. It takes a while for a new company to become a household name, especially without being sold in major dealers... the owner used to be with Cornford amps and they were very well regarded.

I've only played 2 Victory amps so far (RK50 and Kraken) and loved them both. I am actually considering getting a Kraken for my high gain rig.

15. i_b_tulloch

i_b_tulloch Member

I was trying out a friends Guthrie Govan guitar and he had the Mk1 Countess head and matching cab. I knew the guitar was going to be great but wasn’t expecting the amp to be so good. It was awesome. Couldn’t believe how good it sounded for such a small package. I have the Friedman DS and SB combos and The Countess can certainly keep up with them. I would say the are slightly more raw than the Friedman’s. I think the mk2 version will be a home run too.

Check out the Simon McBride demo of the new countess amp, it’s great.

16. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

17. MJRiley5150

MJRiley5150 Member

I bought the Sheriff 44 head last month and the V40 Deluxe head two weeks later. They are both superb amps! It's incredibly easy to get good sounds out of them. The Sheriff 44 meets my M*****ll needs just fine and the V40 suits my F****r needs perfectly. I don't need pedals to get good sounds out of them although I do keep an OD pedal handy with just a hint of gain for those moments when you want to get a little crazy. They are plenty loud for all gigs at 45 watts, but they scale down to 6 watts very nicely for late night practice and recording. They are solidly built and I don't expect I'll have any issues with them. I have gigged with both of them several times and they are so easy to work with and sonically, they are extremely pleasing! Roughly $1500 each. I highly recommend looking at the Victory line of amps if you're tired of the same old choices.

18. Vibroluxman

Vibroluxman Member

But You did not buy the deputy? :D

Danola03 and Jugghaid like this.
  19. SpookyStarbuck

SpookyStarbuck Member

I think Victory amps sound cool. One thing that I always wonder is if all the soldering is done with ****** lead free solder since they are UK and need top ship from there. If so, even more of a pain in the butt to work on. Cool, but maybe Ill find a US alternative.

20. technomancer

technomancer Supporting Member

Pretty much anything new that is not being built by somebody in their garage is going to be lead free solder. Everybody is going ROHS compliant as nobody wants to limit their market.