Video: $69.99 Strat copy with Fender CS 54 pups

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by rotren, Aug 10, 2006.

1. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-21.php

Here is a clip from my SX SST 62 Strat copy (sells for $69.99) in which I installed a set of Fender Custom Shop 54 pickups. I think the guitar now sounds 10 times better. Let me know what you think of the tone. I had the pickups left over from another project so I thought I might as well install them in this one.

To improve the feel of the neck, I sanded the back of the neck and I oiled it with Tru-oil, and used 0000 steel wool to finish with.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-21.php

2. OleRoy

OleRoy Member

I've read some about the SX guitars. Of course, there were mixed reviews, but for the money, if you're willing to make a project out of them like you have, they seem to be a pretty good deal. I think the LP copies generally have better reviews than the Strat copies, though. That may be partly because *many* LP players are concentrating on crunch, while *many* Strat players are concentrating on bluesy, chiming tone...I say *many* so as not to stereotype guitar players by what kind of guitar(s) they play.

How is the playability in general (frets, etc.)?

When you were in the second position in the video, it had a serious "Yellow Ledbetter" vibe. All in all, I'd say you're getting some good sounds out of that guitar...it definitely sounds much better than the price paid, and would work well for blues any day of the week.

RC

3. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

I don't see one on their site for $69.99. can you give us some pics of the neck

4. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    The frets are really nice and big - jumbo size. However, they were not completely perfect, because I have some buzzing problems. Looking along the neck, I can see a hump. I am not sure if I can hammer down the frets that look high. Overall, it's a relatively small issue - you can't really hear it through an amp (but it bugs me a little ...)

The guitar came with a kit I bought - practice amp, strap, soft case, picks, tune, DVD, cable. They don't sell this particular guitar separately. I think it's the lowest end guitar they have! The SST57/SST62 cost $99.99, and I think they might have a better neck.

In general, it plays good. The neck is wider than my Tele neck, so I have work a little harder to play it, but I dig it. It's a lot of fun to play it.

The body is nice and light, and I think it creates a great tone. I mean the guitar is so cheap it's insane! I am not saying it's as good as a Fender, because it isn't, but with some modding it can be a fun backup guitar.

I'll see if I take some pics of the neck for you this weekend.

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i had a used one at the store i work at and the frets were giant!

6. myles loud

myles loud Supporting Member

the tone sounds great, your playin' is kickin' too!!! great work !!
    myles

7. anyone

anyone Member

Das Fuzz? Custom Shop pickups? All tube amp now?

I think you're turning into a bit of a corksniffer these days!

Sick tones! I especially like the fuzz stuff you played at the opening of the clip. Brilliant!

8. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Because it's much better.