Video Clip. Blues with my homemade amp

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by JubileeMan 2555, Oct 3, 2008.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Did a better take then before and decided to make a Youtube clip to go along with it:)

Blues in Bm Video

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  2. black knight

black knight Member

Nice tone! Nice playing! Out of curiosity, what guitar/pickup combination are you using? Does the amp get nasty? I liked the sweet spot you're in but can it also get raunchy?

Congratulations on the build. I'm afraid that kind of thing is a ways down the road for me.

Steve

3. hottub

hottub Member

sounds great Tyler!! congrats!

4. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

nice

5. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

It does get raunchy if I want. Its got a preamp tone bypass switch that gives it a lot more gain and distortion if needed. kinda cool for my less paul.

Everyone should try building an amp! Whats nice, is its actually MUCH cheaper then the buy amp, sell amp routine tonequests get us going on.

6. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Nice tone! Got a photo of the guts?

Steve

7. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Not exactly pretty. I decided to use the existing "hoffman" circuit board that was used to build the vibroverb, so I had lots of lugs unused.

So, I won't win any beauty contests...

[​IMG]

8. vgm

vgm Member

Sounds really good. It would be nice to also hear you play your Les Paul through it! :)

9. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Sounds great. I too would like to hear a Les Paul clip with some dirt.

Mike

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I might get around to making a les Paul clip... but that just what I like. Humbuckers are dull sounding to me and I've tuned my amp to sound best with single coils.

I'll post a new thread if I make a clip.

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Was it a concidence that you made the clip on SRV's bday? Although Im sure nobody here gives a damn, I consider it a special significance that my birthday is the day after Stevie's. I know, Im weird like that.

Good news the Super is done - the EV's are the last piece of the tonal puzzle! My Rodgers baffle came in so I can put the EV's now and finally make some clips!

12. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Heres a clip with the Les Paul. Both Guitar parts are with the LP and Homebuild (I even played the bass..hehe)

Les Paul through Homebuild

13. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

14. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Lol...I'm glad its coming together for you! I'm REALLY looking forward to your clips.

I really dug the tones I got from the super, but they only came with the amp too loud to play anywhere within reason. This is the reason for my homebuild. I'm not looking for exact tones (obviously), but the master volume/2ch setup alows for MUCH more versatility and the tones have a bit more "character" to them that allow me to get my own sound and separate myself a bit more from "that" tone:)

...but I still drag my super out once and a while and play along to some stevie, really fun.

15. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I cant believe what Im hearing, you have one of the best super reverbs I have ever heard and you leave it at home? Crazy.

I dont know man lifes too short to skimp on tone. I drag out the big amps even to ghost town gigs. Not just to blast ear drums but I find the better the tone, the more it inspires me to play.

16. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

homebuild sounds awesome!!!! what's in it? Spill the details man!

17. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Well.. you've gotta understand I DID do that for about 2-3 years. I completely understand where you are coming from. But the reality of it is that a) bars hate loud bands b) Few really care about the guitar's tone if its loud.(this one is KEY. I can't tell you how many comments I got from people listening like "..your guitar sound awesome, but I have to sit in the back, its making my ears hurt...") I started using Plexi Panels in front of the amp to tame it, but it ended up muffling the sound too much for live playing.

...but, not all is lost. Once I finalize my work on this homebuild, I'll be contacting Ho and buying a 2ohm Ultimate Attenuator and really seeing if it will tame my super.

What do you want to know? Basically I started with a collection of 70's dumble schematics scattered around the net and modified/tweaked the circuit for my personal sound. I don't play or really dig Jazz/Fusion style playing, so the traditional dumble tone was never my goal, but rather a touch sensitive master volume amp with both fender/marshall tendencies.

18. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Dont get me started on playing in bars. If your playing in regular bars to regular paying customers that really arent there for the band its just background music to them. People go to bars to drink and pick up women in hopes of a one night stand. The band is just filler for the drunkards to mingle and possibly get the ladies to dance.

Between weasle club owners stiffing you on the pay, tone deaf sound guys burying you in the mix, and drunk college kids looking for fights because they know theyre not going to get laid tonight, Im about done with playing in bars '' with stages. ''

I used to work at a bar and would see this **** everynight. Maybe thats why I cant stand the bar scene anymore. So ya see the volume issue is the least of their concerns LOL.

Rant over.

Let me know how the 2ohm UA goes! Those 7581A's definitely add to the loudness on 3 its louder than it used to be. I dont like attenuation but I thought about a UA for my Superbass.

19. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Yeah, 7581a's really seem to add some dB to the sound. LOVE the tone, but I think it pushes the super reverb into nearly 60watts+

I used to own a UA a while back before I started modding amps. I used it with a Super Trem and a twin reverb with amazing results. But now with my better knowledge of what a super is supposed to sound like cranked and sounding good, I'll have a better idea on how good the UA really does to keep the original sound in-tact.

...also, another reason for the switchup is the type of music played. My last band was a blues-rock group perfectly fitted for that stevie sound, but my most recent project is a groove-based smoother soulfull group more in the likes of R&B. A cranked SRV tone doesn't quite work so well..lol!

20. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Try GE 7581A's theyre not nearly as loud as the Philips but have better bass response and clarity. Sweet sounding tubes where as the Philips are bold sounding and can be somewhat stiff and strident. The cleans cant be beat in a blackface though!

You have really good ears T and we both have similar taste/style. I wont stop playing out with my super for nobody except maybe my back!

The only attenuators I have tried are the Hotplate and Weber Mass, preferred the latter.

Best of luck with the new band!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008