Video Diary

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Ruokangas, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Ruokangas

Ruokangas Member

2. ariki

ariki Member

Very cool!
    Looking forward to more...
    :munch

Wim

3. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Great idea to videodiary the entire process. I look forward to seeing each episode!

4. Guitarpentry

Guitarpentry Member

Awesome! Nice to see a builder using a drafting table to design too. Looking very much forward to the next installment, and to see the shape that body template finally took on.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Juha,

Very nice! Keep us posted on the developments, please.

6. Thor

Thor Member

Very cool!!

Please post here to give us the link to each new episode. Love to see the process!

Dig the backing music as well.

Cheers,

Edward

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  7. anyone

anyone Member

Inspiring!
    Can't wait for the rest.

8. Ruokangas

Ruokangas Member

Thank you!!!

Ok I'll keep posting whenever a new episode is uploaded, should be about every two weeks or so. The parts 2 and 3 are already cooking up... Definitely couldn't do this without my lovely wife Emma who does all the editing (and has the patience of an angel - I't's not easy for me to babble to camera or work when somebody's filming... or to keep up the schedules this tight...). I'm a fortunate dude. :)

The music is by a Finnish guitarist Mr. Manetti - http://www.manetti.info - he's goOod! He has even promised to compose new songs for me, specifically for this video diary. Very cool...

-Juha-

9. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

Juha,
    Very nice indeed! I enjoyed talking to you at the 2007 Namm show, the semi-hollow Duke was the only guitar that I had to try out the whole time. Thanks for being such a generous guy.

joe

10. Ruokangas

Ruokangas Member

11. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

LOL - what's that thing re. Emma being the camerawoman?... You jealous of having a female builder around the shop :D ?

I wants to see some of her work as well - any chance...? ;)

Big hug,

Paul

12. Ruokangas

Ruokangas Member

Nonono Paul! Emma is just SO multitalented you know. I'm the happiest lad on the planet, being spoiled like this! You're the one who should be jealous... :roll

Pics of Emma's work later, promise.

-Juha-

13. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

This is great stuff. Thanks for sharing, Juha. And needless to say, your guitars are superb.

14. Mark C

Mark C Member

Very cool - glad to see you sharing insights on how you go about your work.

15. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

So, Juha, what is it that drives you to want to create another single-cutaway, two-humbucker, carved-top solidbody, when there are already lots and lots and lots of other builders doing that? Is it just being inspired by those wonderful old Les Pauls and who cares what everyone else is doing? Is it that you think you can bring something new to the table and take that design forward a few steps? Is it that you think (know?!) that you can execute it better than anyone else? Or perhaps choice D, All of the above?

I wonder if it's the Mt. Everest of solidbody guitar building -- you have to do it because it's there.

I enjoyed your aside about the conflicting demands of symmetry vs. ergonomics. I showed Steve Howe a couple of Klein Electrics once and he sniffed, "But they're not symmetrical!" Well, of course not. That's because how we play isn't symmetrical -- our right hands do one thing and our left hands do something quite different.

Anyway, best of luck to you. I look forward to seeing - hearing - playing the result of your mission!

16. Ruokangas

Ruokangas Member

Thanks Kingsleyd, I appreciate your very excellent question! I've been seriously obsessed in the past by the wonderful old Les Pauls you mentioned. I used to study all I could about them and did a lot of comparison between the old, new and everything between. Les Paul has been studied by so many and so broadly, that it has become in certain respects a Myth - and whenever something becomes a myth, it's difficult to look at it objectively anymore, there's so much emotions involved. Well I'm now observing that myth and taking my very best shot at raising the bar higher (The same second I wrote that, I noticed how arrogant it sounds, sorry...). This is however my "personal battle", to see beyond that something, that has become a myth. Whether I succeed, remains to be seen in the video diary. You're witnessing the process pretty much in real time - I don't have answers yet.

Yes the symmetry vs. ergonomics is an interesting thing. I've found off-set shapes to be way easier to design so that the guitar is ergonomic and well balanced. F.ex. my Duke is a guitar that sits perfectly in balance on your lap or strapped on your shoulder, no matter if it's the solidbody version or semi-hollow (as in the video - that guitar weighs less than 7 lbs). But this time I want to challenge the symmetry. I don't know yet if I can do it.

I listened to your music from your web page and enjoyed very much both tunes that were downloadable... :phones Very cool playing and tone!

-Juha-

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  17. cubado

cubado Member

Juha,

love my vsop...

and wifes fave !!

:JAM

enjoying very much the vids as well Juha...

Number 3 ?

Cliff @ DAG has me drooling ...

as always...BUT NOT THIS MUCH

:drool :drool :drool

...EVER !!

for this...

[​IMG]

I will play extra Lottery this week !!

HATS OFF TO YOU ...

JUHA &

BJORN !

And what is this may I ask..

Hellcat Artist ?

[​IMG]

18. SebiX

SebiX Member

Yes, that´s the Artist! Incredible guitar. Had the chance to play it during the Frankfurt music fair in Germany. This is - like all the other Ruokangas guitars - a real killer guitar!

19. Ruokangas

Ruokangas Member

Hey there - and sorry, took a long time to get the #3 out. You know, summer vacation with barbequing, swimming, camping and all that with the family... :roll

But NOW it's out!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtwsspP_RpY

Thanks Cubado, happy to hear you're happy with your vsop - and regards to your wife! Yeah the Hellcat is something for all you shredders out there... :Devil

Thanks ya all for the encouraging feedback, look forward hearing comments again.. I'm getting nearer and nearer to start building the actual guitars soon!!

-Juha-

20. SebiX

SebiX Member

Hey Juha,

I´ve just seen Part 3... can´t wait to see more!

Sebastian