Video Slow-downers?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by jzucker, Mar 24, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Anyone know of a video playback program that can do for video what Roni or Transcribe does for audio?

2. Mita

Mita Member

Hi Jack !
    What OS are you using ?
    Windows XP or Mac OSX ?
    Best Regards
    Mita

3. jzucker

XP. Sorry for the omission.

4. e-z

e-z Member

The thing with video is you have to remember you have a resolution of 1/30th of a second. It's like having an audio sample rate of 30Hz. Therefore when you slow down video it gets steppy. Sports playback slo-mo that looks fluid is done with special machines. Certain editing programs will interpolate the missing fields (half of a frame basically) when slowing down picture but they are filling in the gaps not giving any more detail.

5. jzucker

Yes, I realize that. That doesn't bother me. I just to be able to slow the audio down while the video is play. I don't care if the video gets choppy.

6. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

You may want to try ripping the audio from the video then using TheAmazing SlowDowner. I've done this a few time and it worked well. I'm on a mac and use MacTheRipper, but I'm sure there's something comperable for windows.

7. Mita

Mita Member

Hi Jack !
    Got this from Macosxhints:
    I just noticed that when playing a track in QuickTime 7 (Pro) that you can adjust the pitch of the song without affecting the vocals! Command-K brings up the A/V Controls screen, from where you can adjust the Playback speed slider. When you do so, the audio and video slow down, but the pitch remains unchanged. This is great news for musicians who want to slow down the beat of a tune and hear exactly what is going on. Now if they could only intergrate it into iTunes...
    This should work for windows too . Have to have the Pro Version ( something like 30$).
    Best Regards
    Mita

8. Kevan

Kevan Member

For the PC, there's a (free) media player called: BSPlayer.
    It allows speed changes (1/2, normal, 2x) to most video files.

On my Mac, Quicktime sets the standard. :)

9. jzucker

I couldn't get the playback rate to do anything on video files with bsplayer.

10. Kevan

Kevan Member

The version I have is v0.84. It's pretty old. Never really had a reason to update it.

When I right-click on the video itself, the submenu comes up. "Playback Rate" is one of the many options.
    If you don't see it on that submenu, look for "Other Menu" at the top of each submenu.

11. jzucker

doesn't work on wmv files. It does work on mpeg files.

12. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

What I do is play the file, using Transcribe record to disk to get the audio stream. Transcribe produces a WAV, which solves your problem (even though I usually make the extra step of converting it to an MP3).

You may have to open Volume Control -> Properties -> Recording to select the "WAVE OUT MIX" recording channel, so that you can record the audio stream from the video playback.