Vietnam Vets and extended family

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by lhallam, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Member

IF you arrive at Reagan Int'l, and are on the correct side of the plane (for me - left side / approach from North) you can see the (angle of) the private's stripe on a field of green. It is one of the most touching experiences that you can have in D.C.

Scrapperz, lhallam and A-Bone like this.
  2. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

That’s wonderful.
    Do they pick the servicemen at random or can I send them info reguarding my father?

[​IMG]

Scrapperz likes this.
  3. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

In the early '70s, I got a "POW Bracelet". Everyone was wearing them...I was no different. The bracelet came with a little piece of paper that said you were to wear it until your guy was accounted for. It was asked that the wearer make that commitment. That was 1971...7th grade.

Forty-eight years later, I'm still wearing it. OK, not the original...that bracelet broke. And my first replacement was lost in a lake. But the point is, he was never accounted for, and my commitment grows stronger by the day as I continue to wear a bracelet bearing his name. Every day is memorial day when a man's name is touching your flesh.

USAF Maj. Joseph Echanis was a back-seater on an F4 lost over Laos. Part of the 497TFS "Night Owls", these amazingly-brave guys flew at night, blacked out, flying out of Ubon Thailand. He was lost 11/5/69 and remains MIA.

He gave all, and it is my great honor to help keep his memory alive.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Matt Jones, BJW, Scrapperz and 10 others like this.
  4. lhallam

lhallam Member

I don't know. I highly suggest you contact them, you might also be helping a student get some credits.

If you haven't watched one of the memorials, you probably should to get an idea of what they need to put one together.

Awesome photo.

Sending thanks to your Dad and family.

Scrapperz and 67blackcherry like this.
  5. lhallam

lhallam Member

I remember those bracelets. Good on you.

I know that Vietnam and US came an accord and they did their best to find remains but I don't know if they went into Laos or Cambodia.

Scrapperz likes this.
  6. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

I reached out to the teacher, thanks.

Scrapperz and lhallam like this.
  7. lhallam

lhallam Member

Cool. Please keep us informed of your progress.

67blackcherry likes this.
  8. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

And the Korean War Monument near there is just as powerful. Downright ghostly at night.

Scrapperz and A-Bone like this.
  9. lhallam

lhallam Member

Indeed, I've got some very cool night photos.

Scrapperz and chrisr777 like this.
  10. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Good thread.

I have/had cousins that were greatly affected by Vietnam. I think about them all the time. 4 brothers one in the Navy and one in the Army. The one in the army was not exactly well when he came home and it affected the whole pack greatly forever after. Now the oldest has bad depression and I’m afraid for him cause his younger brother tells me he won’t talk or come out of his room but he does eat, blah blah and I can’t even help them. Soon the younger brother will be the last of my cousins.

lhallam and 84superchamp like this.
  11. iGouger

iGouger Supporting Member

Same here, Okra. When my father returned from Vietnam a 100% disabled vet (from injuries sustained when he stepped square on a land mine), he dedicated his life to helping other vets. My father eventually died from AML, a rare form of cancer that the doctors at the Mayo clinic had no doubt was caused by exposure to Agent Orange. Sad that even the ones who made it home are still dying directly due to that war.

Scrapperz, Okra and lhallam like this.
  12. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

A close friend of mine in vietnam went that route when he came home, as did many others.
    In 1990 i arranged a reunion of everyone in our unit, a tremendous amount of phone calling and tracking down.
    I finally reached his mother who said his mind was not right when he came home and he eventually left NJ for Florida (a relief to his mom) and was never heard from again.
    We worked side by side on our tour and i left about 2 months before he did, what happened in those 2 months to drive him crazy? I ask myself that a lot.

lhallam and Scrapperz like this.
  13. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Sounds so familiar.

I was just a little kid hanging on their leg at a 4th of July party in our back yard but I sensed that something wasn’t right. Turns out I found out decades later that the brother who didn’t go over was extremely affected by his brother leaving for war that his affliction started at the moment his brother left making him more messed up than the one that went.

It ludicrous to think how that campaign messed up their mojo so bad that they really never had any girlfriends. None of them married or had children. I never really speak of this cause it’s so disparaging but it’s real and true.

The one that went was in a tank and claimed they fired it so much the barrel sagged from the heat making them sitting ducks. It’s all I ever heard except jokes about his buddy being right behind him when they ran for cover while being mortared. I don’t think they were joking now as I was little when he said it to me but I was saddened to hear recently before he died he never really got much compensation cause he didn’t understand how the system works or didn’t have any knowledgeable people around him.

The oldest who is now in deep depression ended up taking care of all his brothers with money he made in the Navy and with IBM.

I gotta stop my heart is getting too heavy just thinking of my history with them.

84superchamp likes this.
  14. lhallam

lhallam Member

That is wonderful that there is an annual party. Even better if you get to play in memory of your brother.

AdrenalinJunkie and Scrapperz like this.
  15. lhallam

lhallam Member

The ripple effects are hard to measure. Here it is almost 50 years later and another generation is feeling the aftermath.

I'm certain there is a certain feeling of helplessness for your family who desperately want to do something. It sounds like everyone could use some kind counseling. Best to you and yours.

Scrapperz likes this.
  16. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

So very sad. I feel lucky every single day that i wasn't a post war statistic, so many older guys are still fighting that battle. Hang in there.

Scrapperz likes this.
  17. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

I’m just straggler collateral damage. They’re the ones that suffered or suffering the most right now. The youngest one I spoke about is hanging in there taking care of the house n things. I’ll call from time to time (cause he won’t call me) to see how he’s doing and to let him know we’re concerned. Fortunately his sister is there and he says she’s helping him so that’s a relief.

I’ll always remember and thank those that were involved with Vietnam and think about their families.

lhallam and 84superchamp like this.
  18. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

Well, the band is the school's band, but they always have something special. There are servicemen and women in uniform who present a rose to a representative of the family. I remember when the service started, back in the 70's, it was usually the mother of the deceased, now it's usually other family, as most of the parents of Vietnam Vets have passed.

lhallam likes this.