Views on late 70's Fender Silverface Amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Zim, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Zim

Zim Member

I was wonder what your thoughts are on the late 70's Silverface amps.
    Any good? POS? worth owning? Underrated? Going prices?

I'm realy intrested in the '79 Master Volume Silverface Pro Reverb. Anyone own one, played one? Any Good- Whould you own one?

Thanks-Cleet

2. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

I have an early one non master vol...It depends, have you tried one? I really like my Pro-Reverb very nice amp the reverb is really good and I really like the vibrato.....There are some people that don't like the MV. These amps usually go for less money......Do you need an MV?

3. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

I just recently rebuilt a later tr. I didn't bother to check the date on it, but it was supposed to be from the rivera era at fender. I started out thinking it would just need a few tweaks to get it back to blackface specs or at least close to bf specs. After looking at it I ended up practically gutting it in order to bf it. It had all sorts of poorly run wires all around, no choke, and the ultra linear output transformer. Spent a good bit of time replacing all the wire caps and such. Sounded good when it was finished, but I don't think I will be taking on that task again.

I am not sure what the 79 version looks like inside, but I have a 71 and it was nearly bf to begin with, and the original wiring (stranded), was still 10x neater dressed than the newer one I worked on.

4. Zim

Zim Member

How come the master vol. ones are so unpopular? I like the master on my GT.

5. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Have a 76 SF twin picked up cheap. It was moded with EL-34s. Although it is not the answer your looking for, it's a mixed blessing for me. Being cheap it was a good purchase just like some other amps I have. Tonewise I'm sure many folks here wouls not like it, early breakup with more mids from the EL34, some fatness but still not as fat or warm as 65 blackface. Guy I bought it from said the mods were supposed to get SRV like, my arse. Anyway, as a cheap slave it absolutely rips with my Marshall and most anything I slave it with sounds full, fat, 3 dimensional and much nicer with the reverb. I don't think you can go wrong but just my 2 cents.

6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I think the early 70's SF are the ones you'd want. Although you'll have people here say there's nothing wrong with the later master volume SF as long as you don't engage them. My amp guy usually buys early 70's beat up ragged out fixer-uppers and mods them to a BF model or something a little different. He's really never picked up anything after 73'. I usuallly end up buying his experiments. Here's some pics of the SF amps he's modded or repro'd:

Here's my 72' SF Deluxe Reverb turned to a 65' Blackface "blueprinted" repro

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my 70' SF Princeton Reverb modded w/ deluxe OT, 12" Emi. Governor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my 73' SF Princeton Reverb modded w/ 12" Private Jack

[​IMG]

7. Zim

Zim Member

Wasn't the late 70's early 80's Fenders dark ages? Is there a chance that there is a "good " one? One worth owning, or is it best to stay clear?

Any Idea how much a '79 Pro Reverb is ging for nowadays?

8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I'd say a 79' Pro Reverb depending on the condition of the amp would go for about $550-800 approx. I really varies depending in what part of the country your in.

9. HHB

HHB Member

handwired amps for cheap, whats not to like?

10. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

One of the best sounding Fender amps I ever owned was a late 70's 'ultralinear' Pro Reverb. That amp had soul out the ass and was bone stock, circuit wise.

If they sound good, they are good.

11. Zim

Zim Member

Hey Tex, Nice amps BTW!

The amp I am currently checking out is from what the owner says is stocked. Outside of replaced power tube sockets. Replaced the plastic ones for ceramic ones about 3 months ago, along with a complete check-up, new tubes and biasing.

What I'm gathering, is what I always said, Try it-if you like it, Get it. It must be hit or miss with these.

when did Paul Rivera come on board?

12. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I use a '77 SF Twin for band practice and it works for me. Big clean and a great platform for pedals. I do recommend some good tubes and speakers. That made a noticeable difference in my case.

Late SF's are LOUD, big, heavy, and do not break up at higher volumes. Non of that is an issue with me. I like the basic tone and the reverb is good.
    To me, a SF Twin, including the late ones, are a far better Fender than all current Deville's, Deluxe, Hotrods whatever.
    Most of the time you can pick em up cheap. Ok I love my BF Bandmaster, but the Twin is certainly not a crappy amp. If you can find and afford a BF or early SF Twin I say go for it, if not, a late SF Twin is a good choice.

13. Zim

Zim Member

Its loaded w/ JJ, NOS RCA, and Sovtek 5881's. Stock blue back speakers. It is extremly clean too. Very little wear and no rips, a couple scuffs. The gentleman I'm talking to, is the 2nd owner of about the last 3 years.

What speakers if any, would you guys reconmend? I like a nice low smooth mid and nice highs- able to do blues, rock, and a little on the heavey side from time to time.

14. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The Ultra Linear amps aren't very popular and can't be blackfaced without extensive work. Guys who need tons of clean headroom like them and they do work well with pedals.

15. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It depends on the model. Deluxe Reverbs and Princeton Reverbs changed very little except for pull boost switches. As long as you don't pull the boost everything's fine.

The worst examples would be the Ultra Linear amps but some players who need tons of clean headroom do like these.

16. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Hey, Zim what he said. Blue Stat knows tone so follow his advice.;)

17. Zim

Zim Member

Blue Strat, which models are Ultra Linear? Or how can you tell? Would the Pro-Reverb be?

18. hasserl

hasserl Member

I've got a mid 70's Super Reverb with the Master Volume, it is a great amp. I agree with most people who don't like the Fender Master Volume, it just doesn't work very good and is pretty much useless. But keep it dimed and it doesn't hurt anything having it there. Even better, rewire it from the stock Fender MV to a Matchless style crossline MV and it makes a very effective and usefull master volume, increasing the versatility over a non-MV amp. Very simple to do also. My SR sounds great. I had it out last night to a gig and it kicked ass! Everyone loved it and I got several compliments on it, from other players too, like the guitarist from the band that followed us.

Internet lore tends to make people look down on SF Fenders, that is rediculous. These are great amps, and some circuit changes were actually beneficial, not detrimental.

With the UL models the nfb can be disconnected making a very cool sounding amp.

19. hasserl

hasserl Member

As mentioned in my above post, disconnect the nfb, all is well. Don't try to make a black face out of it, that's just not practical. But UL is not bad when implemented properly, it's just that Fender went overboard in their attempts to clean up the amps, making them a bit sterile sounding. I blame Dick Dale for that. Disconnect the nfb and your back in business with these amps.

20. Zim

Zim Member

How do you know if it is UL? Are you refering to a "ul" sticker on the back? And what is the nfb?