Vinetto Vs Fender CS

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Rufes, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Vince

Vince Member

The original Legato series were the 25" scale models, but the Artifacts (All the SC and DC models) have always been the traditional 25.5" scale. Two years ago I introduced the Legato Classic 255, which puts the 25.5" scale neck on the Legato body and pickup/controls configurations but with our Under the Bed lacquer checked finish and light hardware patina.

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

thanks for the clarification, Vince

3. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

I gotta chime in. I have toured Vince's shop. They are Master-Master built. Vince builds each and every guitar --he himself--him.He computer designed the neck. He picked the Grade AAA wood. He painted them. He hand picks the PUPs for each build and if it don't sing he changes it.He's a player and he plays them. (he's a playa,too) He sets them up. He does the fret work.If he's not happy, it's changed-it does not go out unless it meets his strict specs.You want Fender CS PUPs? He'll get them. No guitar made can claim more attention to personal detail than one of Vince's-none.He was mentored by the gurus at Fender but then he took his mad genius and took it a step further in terms of his own design for neck/truss rod placement and wood cuts techniques.If you have a chance---tour his cool shop.(I'm sure Masterbuilt Fenders are probably almost as good-I don't wanna dis those!)I vote Vinetto!

tvegas99 likes this.
  4. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I would list the Vinetto I tried as excellent. The funny thing is that I tried it to replace another guitar in my collection, but it ended up being almost exactly like my main 90's CS 54. My CS Strat has been the only electric guitar that's stayed in my collection, and it took years to find one that good.

I did not keep the Vinetto, because it didn't make sense to have two guitars that played and sounded so much alike for recording. But, the fact that this is the first Vinetto I have tried and it equaled a guitar that I must have went through many dozen to find speaks volumes for how good of a guitar builder Vince is.

5. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Member

I've never seen or played a Vinetto guitar. I would assume that based on reputation they are excellent guitars and on "average" better than the average CS Fender. I assume this based on less of a mass produced method.

Having said that I have a CS strat (not master built) that is a fantastic guitar. I must have got one of the better ones. Again, the discussion really is about the average and there are some duds and some bells in the mix.

Based on method of production and reputation I would be more likely to buy untouched and unheard a Vinetto or Masterbuilt Fender than a normal CS strat. That's just me.

In the end every guitar is different. The maker can only apply better (or worse - can anyone say China?) selection of materials and attention to detail to provide consistent results.

6. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    IMHO Vince is on of the truly good guys in the tone business.

7. BettyFjord

BettyFjord Member

I own a Vinetto T-style guitar and it's superb. I had to buy it sight unseen because there were none in the UK at the time. I'm glad I did.

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

You know the thing that strikes me funny here is, how you could try all those guitars and say they all sounded similar. Every strat has such a unique sound and response. ESPECIALLY comparing vintage to a modern instrument. It's sonically so different. I work at a store, Fender and even to many non players there's almost always a noticeable difference in tone between vintage strats and a newly made one, no matter how well. Once in awhile sure, they may sound a little similar, but you say a '63, 65 and 68 along with a CS and a Vinetto all sounded similar...that's unbelievable. I even had two identical Custom Shop strats, down to the paint and they were soooo different sounding.

I have owned a few CS Cunettos, and love Vince's work on those. I understand his work was cosmetics, not the design or construction. I'd love to try a Vinetto, they have a lot of features I like and think Vince is at the top when it'd come to quality.

9. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

So nice to hear another builder not bash Fender :dude

btw, I see a couple of the originals for sale

http://www.makenmusic.com/product.cfm?prodID=2018&catID=1

http://www.makenmusic.com/product.cfm?prodID=2006&catID=1

:drool

10. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

I've owned both and they easily hang with one another. With guitars of this level it's really all about the pickups you choose based on the tone you are looking for and what kind of amp you are playing through.

11. rugglesgreen

rugglesgreen Member

Gorgeous...... fing Gorgeous....