Vinetto

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by rgsss14, Oct 1, 2005.

1. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

I recently had the pleasure and privilege of visiting Vince's shop here in St. Louis, MO.

I know you guys probably know all about Vinetto guitars, but I wish that those of you who have never played one could just get the opportunity. These are truly amazing guitars - and I've played many, many other ones that just simply don't match up.

Vince's method is very meticulous and exacting, a fact clearly evidenced by the way his shop works.

I have two Legato TC's in the works - one is with the standard pickup configuration and switching (for the most part), and the other will have 3 P-90's. Both will have bird's eye maple necks (a personal preference) - I literally got weak in the knees when I first got a glimpse at the intensity of the figure on these necks.
    I'll have to post pics when I get them.

Bottom line is that these guitars play like butter and sound like heaven (in my opinion with either the DiMarzios or the Lollars - just a subtle difference). Do yourself a favor and check out his website or just give him a call. I usually have a rule that I have to lay hands on a guitar before I buy it, but I tell you, this guitar would be one exception.

All of that and to top it off Vince is a great guy who is very accessible and really knows his stuff. (need I even say that?)

Take the plunge!:dude

2. fatback

fatback Member

I am really digging my Legatto. Vince builds a mean axe. I love the variety of tones.

[​IMG]

3. JZWest

JZWest Member

Absolutely beautiful guitar. The pickguard perfectly flows with its surrounding lines. I bet it plays and sounds as good as it looks!

4. glynn

glynn Member

I like the way it looks, and I bet it would be a great tone match to my PRSi.

I wanted somthing without a hard finnish tho, and thats not an option yet.

I hope to check one out at the Boggie store the next time im down south.

5. Vince

Vince Member

...but we'll grill up some Italian sausage and crack open a few Boulevard Pale Ales for anybody that comes by the shop!

Hey rgsss, thanks for the nice words. We're definitely enjoying working on your stuff.

You folks may not hear this often enough, but us "Small Company Luthiers" would not be able to do what we do for very long without guys like you. iIt's not just your business, but your appreciation and understanding of what we do that makes it all happen. I can't speak for the other guys, but we've been really lucky to have a consistantly great group of customers.

Stop by anytime!

6. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

Though I haven't been involved in this conversation, I would like to thank you for your post, Vince. It's so easy for people (especially those blessed with immense talent) to get caught up in their own hype & i'm pleased to find you're such a down to earth, good guy.
    When I get the money pick up a hand made t-style fiddle, you'll be hearing from me...
    Best,
    m

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

That one is a knockout...! :dude

How does the Legato (at 25" scale) compare to the standard Fender scale (25.5"), tone-wise...?

8. Vince

Vince Member

I love how the 25" scale softens the rough edges of the 25.5" scale, without loosing the snarl and snap when you need it. I'm not saying that 25.5's are always brittle or sizzly, and I've always loved that scale, but now I just really like to hear the 25 with minis, single coils or whatever. Without sounding like too much of a plug for my own stuff, the 25' scale gives plenty of the classic tonality of a 25.5/single coil sound when you want to dial it it, but there's also a wider range of full/smooth tonal spectrum you can tap into with the minis and the three-mode setup. The guys playing them consistently talk about how the guitar can cover all the bases on a gig all by itself, which is what I was really trying to acheive.

By the way, we've been shipping quite a few of the new Deuce's, so I thought I'd post a pic for all you two pickup guys. The second tone control is a pickup blender to go along with the three way, so you can dial in any pickup combination you want.

[​IMG]

9. I like the contoured edges and the way things are arranged on those guitars. They are looking great.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

WOW! :dude :dude :dude

11. JZWest

JZWest Member

Yes, the larger radiused edge, in addition to other things, really adds to the classyness of this guitar.

Curious about the 25" scale lenght though. Slighlty less tension at normal pitch, or can you go to 11's for the same tension, but fatter sound?

12. Vince

Vince Member

The shorter scale does reduce the string tension compared to a 25.5" scale, so 11's feel a little less intimidating for sure. There's already a pretty good "fat content" to these guitars, so I'd say the 11's sound a little bigger with a tad more "impact" than the slighltly mellow or buttery sound of the .10's we ship with.

13. The edge kind of alludes to the Strat, and helps the Tele look less "planky" :)

14. KRosser

KRosser Member

I played one at the Mesa Boogie store in Hollywood recently and I thought it was a superb guitar in every respect. I'd definitely consider one in the future.

15. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I love my Vinetto, it's a totally top notch guitar. Wish I had a photo here to post but don't (Two-tone sunburst w/ Tortoise guard, totally classy look IMO).

cheers,
    Jon

16. rgsss14

<i have played this particular <deuce at <fazio´s and it is amazing<1 <8if it is the same one <i´m thinking of<9
    <great tone selection with the blend function and everything else meets the Vinetto standard as usual.
    <anyone would be lucky to own this guitar.

17. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

If I was goig to get one that would be it with a rosewood board , they look lie great guitars

18. martyncrew

martyncrew Supporting Member

I had the opportunity to play some Vinettos, Suhrs and Groshes (Groshi?) at Gryphon in Palo Alto recently. All were very well made, played and sounded great but the design of the Vinettos is stunning from both a functional and aesthetic point of view. At the $2K price point, all of these are good guitars and "best" comes down to personal taste and judgement, but I certainly left thinking a Vinetto would be somewhere in my future.

19. rgsss14

Give Vince a call and ask for an invite to the shop. He is a great guy and the Legato/Deuce series are amazing, and I always like to put the word back out with them given all of the attention the Artifacts are getting these days.

The Legato is one of the most tonally versatile guitars out there. The Deuce has the same feel albeit one can coax some more "in between" tones from it... you really must try both out to decide....I personally feel the Legato is more versatile.

20. jetlag

jetlag Member

I agree completely with Vince on the coolness of a 25" scale neck. While I don't own any of his guitars (yet), I really enjoy playing vintage harmony stratotones and H62s, both of which have 25" scale necks. It's a real sweet spot in my opinion - you still get growl and definition on the low wound strings, but the high unwounds are relaxed just enough to voice fat. Overally, the strings still retain just enough snap. Very cool and "best of both worlds" in a way.