Vinettos, anybody have one coming or just got one

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Glowing Tubes, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Mine is getting very close.:drool

Just wondering if anybody has recently gotten one or has one on order.

The waiting is the toughest part.:crazy

Richard

2. moozak

moozak Silver Supporting Member

you talking about the aritifact series?... or any vinetto? i got a Legato TC a few months back... it's simply killer.

[​IMG]

3. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I got my Legato recently... used off TGP. It's cool.

4. moozak

Jerrod... got any pics of it?

5. Jerrod

6. moozak

oh! is that the "black sparkle" one? i remember that guitar... in fact, i thought about buying it. it came from the same place i got mine. i'm really diggin' mine. i had flat wounds on it for a while... messing with some jazz... put my regular d'addario .010's on it a few nights ago and wow... i had forgotten just how lively the guitar was! mine will cover about anything... it's a tone chambered model. i can't say enough about it.

7. Jerrod

yes, black sparkle. it was a smoking deal.

8. Vince

Vince Member

That black flake/black guard one was sort of a one-off color experiment, one of those "love it or hate it" kind of things. I really liked it and it's a fantastic sounding guitar.

FYI to those waiting for new Vinettos, I just finished two days of PLEKing another batch of Vinetto necks with Joe Glaser in Nashville. While our limited output doesn't justify having our own machine, Joe and I have made an arrangement to have all Vinetto necks done on his system. Joe is the Plek guru and is responsible for bringing the system into the country. He's also the "go-to" guys for US tech support as well, the guy the "big dogs" call when they need help. The benefit of having his years of expertise working for us is why I personally load my SUV full of finished necks and drive them 4 1/2 hours to work side by side with Joe. As you guys will find, you'll be getting the absolute best fret work available on the planet.

9. moozak

:dude

10. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

And he puts in a hell of a B Bender.:dude

11. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

Vince-please tell me the Artifact necks are being Plek'ed by JG???

I don't want to run off at the mouth just yet, but a VC Art SCBG 50 that JG had a hand it fret dress work and I mite have to change my pants.......

:drool

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Definately a case where outsourcing work makes very good sense, especially when you have access to the expert in the field!

[​IMG]

13. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

Just have to say again... that SCBG neck really is something else.....:AOK

14. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Jeez Vince, it's as thouigh you gave a damn (GRIN)

I'm pretty sure Joe Glaser is the "go to guy" for a whole lotta stuff w/ respect to electric guitars (DUH!)

I'm itching to play one of your axes, a T inspired one. Anybody out in the SF Bay Area playing one of yours these days, or selling them?

Interesting, I just checked the Cert of Authenticity on my CS Strat - it's an older one, and it's built by your old buddy John Page (GRIN).

Seriously, I'm dyin' to play one of yours.

Thanks, Dana Olsen, new fan!

15. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

I see your in SL , have you had a chance to check one out?

16. Vince

Vince Member

Good shot, but that's one of our "pre-Plek" necks, although we put the same attention to detail in every one.

I do want to be very clear (so no 'net rumours get started) that we're not "outsourcing" the fretwork on any Vinetto. We still do all the planing and fretting and finishing, and when the necks are done they're dressed on his machine, with Joe operating the computer. The machine gives you complete control as to how you want it to do the job, what action you want it set up for, how you want to fix particular issues if there are any, etc. Like a lot of things, the final result is only as good as your input, and having Joe on board as our Plek operator and consultant is another reason we're getting incredible results. After each neck is scanned, he and I take a look at the data and make a decision as to how to dial in the machine. This is the part of the processs that I really enjoy, where our different perspectives and experience come together.

Another great benefit of the scanning ability of the Plek system is that it give us a very detailed QC of the our neck construction, board planing and fretting work. I was very happy this week that the necks going on were all in really good "pre-plek" condition, with very little dressing required. However, it's still nice to know they're perfect when they're shipped.

We've also worked out a pretty good system that really makes it effiecient to get the job done. Joe keeps a bunch of reject bodies with plain bridges on them at his shop, so I can take just the necks and leave the actual finished bodies in our shop. Then we just attach the necks on the scrap bodies, string 'em up, bring them to analysis tension, settle them in and run them. Then we remove the neck and pack it back up for the trip home.

Keep in mind that the machine doesn't do the "finesse" stuff to the frets and necks, and it doesn't do the edge roll either. The frets still have to be corner-dressed, smoothed, polished and buffed, and the final cut of the nut has to be completed. Of course all that's done completely in-house in our shop.

17. Glowing Tubes

Wow Vince,
    Sounds excellent.
    Cant wait to play mine!!!!:AOK

RC

18. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

For me, that's the best looking tele type guitar I've ever seen. I'm a sucker for Stained red, with perloid pickguiards. I love it.

19. moozak

thanks! it's a tone chambered mahogany model with a 50's profile VtoC neck. another thing i like about it is that it's a nice straight-grained neck... yet it has a very figured maple cap fingerboard. best of both worlds for me... since i'd rather not have a figured neck.

i have to admit though... that if i could get another one... this would be it! this guitar just makes my head dizzy!

[​IMG]

20. Glowing Tubes

Hey Moozak,
    That is what mine is going to look like.
    Except it will be olympic white with the tortoise guard.
    I'm going to also check it out with a mint greeny on there.

Oh, and a trem.:AOK

RC