Vinnie Moore

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Nazgul666, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Nazgul666

Nazgul666 Member

I was checking out Troy Grady's site and I stumbled up on Vinnie Moore, who somehow escaped my radar back in the day.

Anyway I bought Mind's Eye. I love it. It's got the neoclassical thing but it also is a little proggy and a little more melodic.

Great stuff.

Anyone else like? What else should I check out?

Mike

2. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

Vinman is great. I give thumbs up to all of his work. I always liked his first two releases the best. I like his style because he seems to play "in control" and I find that I can almost learn some of his stuff - at least at a slower tempo.

He has 5 or 6 albums with UFO (and may actually be tenured longer than any other guitarist for the band) - the UFO style is a little more blues-rock derivative.

He's very personable and a good follow on Facebook.

3. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

4. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

This +1000. To me it's the best "shred" album of the era.

5. beanbass

beanbass Member

My favorite of his is Mind's Eye, but I am biased towards Time Odyssey since I played bass on that one. That's got special memories for me.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  6. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  7. Bankston

Bankston Member

Vinnie's shred stuff is awesome. I used to have his instructional video as well and it was intimidating!

8. dreamspace

dreamspace Member

Yes, he's fantastic. He's on my top 3, I never get tired of Minds Eye. He's truly one of the great guitarists of our generation. He started incorporating more fusion-y and rock playing after "Time Odyssey", which is more like what he's playing now. "Minds Eye" and "Time Odyssey" is unadulterated melodic shred in its purest form. Those albums have some of the fastest and tightest playing I've heard.

Next up, check out Joey Tafolla, another guy from Shrapnel. Criminally underrated, overshadowed by Vinnie Moore, Yngwie, Tony Macalpine, etc. during the same time period.

9. micycle

micycle Member

He's one that pert near escaped my radar back in the day too (and I was into the whole shred thing)! Saw him in all of the guitar mags but never really heard him. I bought a Vicious Rumors LP with him on it back then, loved the playing but the rest of the band... not so much. I'll have to check him out.

10. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I loved Tafolla's Infra Blue album in it's day. I'm sure I still have it stashed in milk crates full of CDs.

Time Odyssey is such a wonderful album by Moore. Great rut-busting stuff in there as well.

11. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Time Odyssey is just awesome. I'm also a late convert, having lumped him in with the "Yngwie Clones" back in the day. It was seeing him with UFO that made me reconsider his solo albums.

12. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Vinnie's Meltdown is a fantastic album, with the song "Cinema" being a particular stand-out. Super nice guy, as well. TOTAL agreement on Joey Tafolla. His debut, Out Of the Sun, is one of the 10 best albums Shrapnel ever put out. I think that Mike Varney felt he needed to "kick-start" the album, so he had Paul Gilbert do a lot of soloing, in addition to Joey's work. I think that was a disservice to Joey, who really didn't need the help.

13. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I attended a seminar/meet and greet with Vinnie that Reliable Music in Charlotte conducted at a hotel (I was in town for business and happened to be staying at the same hotel), must have been 1986 or 1987. He was cool, and an excellent teacher. He would play a technique and then explain absolutely clearly how he was doing it.

14. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

Time Odyssey is a masterpiece, up there with Rising Force, Maximum Security and Second Heat.

His 'middle period' albums, Meltdown and Out of Nowhere, are very different. Still melodic instrumental rock, but devoid of any 'neo-classical' tendencies. Recommended listening for fans of Satch, or just those who are allergic to the harmonic minor scale.

The Maze saw a return to his earlier style, albeit with a more mature twist, and Defying Gravity continued in the same vein. To me, The Maze is perhaps his most accomplished release, strongly recommended. The melodies are just so good, and the playing is of course stellar.

I've heard his latest solo album, and some of his stuff with UFO, but I haven't listened quite enough to make any recommendations. What I do remember is that Vinnie still delivers quality playing and melodies, and I'm happy to see that he's one of the main songwriters on the UFO albums he's played on. No hired gun, he's very much a part of the band.

And yeah, agree with dreamspace about Joey Tafolla. His debut was like if Tony MacAlpine had a kid brother, and his subsequent albums are full of solid playing, great tones and melodies. If you like him, and can take some gutsy classic metal, check out Jag Panzer's The Fourth Judgement. FAT guitar tone, and slippery smooth playing. Also dig Harry Conklin's singing, although it's an acquired taste.

15. greenhilander

greenhilander Member

Saw Vinnie in January. Even had the privilege of meeting him backstage after. Unbelievable show and he was extremely nice to me. My jaw was wide open during his set.

16. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

He was never a guy I followed that closely for whatever reason, but Mind's Eye is a fantastic album.

17. F#m7

F#m7 Supporting Member

He was a huge influence on me. When I was about a year into playing, my dad bought his instructional video for me. It really transformed my playing and sped up my development, technically. Pretty sure I wore my cassette of Meltdown completely out.

18. harry65

harry65 Member

19. harry65

harry65 Member

I always thought this was the most intense scariest piece of shred ever, it's Paul Gilbert guest playing on Taffolla's debut album , from :19 to 1:19 is about as crazy as it gets:rockin:rockin:rockin
    http://youtu.be/3SpZgRXzwhw

20. funkycam

funkycam Member

Great stuff. +1 on Time Odessy.

If you like Mind's Eye, the first two tony macalpine records are worth a listen also.