Vintage 30 and G12M combined

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Berre, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Berre

Berre Member

Hey guys !
    anyone ever tried to put a Vintage 30 and G12M in the same cabinet ?
    2X12" or 4X12"..........
    good sound ?
    or crap ? :)

bert

2. dehughes

dehughes Member

Very good sound, actually. One of the best pairs you can form today. I loved those in my 2x12 Top Hat Club Royale...

david

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I've heard this combo in a couple of different 2x12"s and I don't like it at all. Too unbalanced IMO. If you stand in front of the speakers the difference in tone and sensitivity is so great the cab sounds 'twisted' to one side. The V30 totally dominates in the upper mids and sounds far louder, but you can still hear the mushy bottom end of the G12M when it's pushed hard. The worst of both worlds in the same cabinet IMO.

Doesn't sound so bad from off axis, and maybe OK if you're going to mic them individually and not actually listen to the cab as a whole.

Also the pair is only rated at 50W because the G12M can't take more than 25, and the V30 can handle more than that on its own.

If you were going to put them in a slant 4x12" with the V30s at the bottom it might work better, but I've never tried that.

(Yes, I saw dehughes' post! We just... disagree :).)

4. Berre

Berre Member

well i've put 2 Vintage 30 on the bottom and 2 G12H on top in my 4X12" cab.... i have a rehearsel later today and will keep you guys posted
    on my opinions....

bert

5. bryan k

bryan k Member

i have a legacy 4x12 cab, with celestion greenbacks on the top, and V30s on the bottom. I must say, it sounds great! Im a big fan of dual mic'ing my cab, and i put one mic on a greenback, and another on a V30 to get 2 tones, and blend them together on the mix board. you get so much versitility when you mix and match speakers. Yes, depending on where you stand in front of the amp, it might sound 'off" or unbalanced, but when your gigging.....no one in the audience really notices that.....they just hear the cabs sound as a whole.
    i chose the greenback/v30 combo because the greenbacks have the warmth, and sweetness......but the v30s have the tighter lows, and presence. together the 2 complete the tonal spectrum from low....to high.

6. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

+1 for the V30 & Greenback combo :Spank

7. Ricker

Ricker Member

Yup.......v30s and greenies are not the best match.........v30 and greenies are actually the closest when comparing the celestion range.......it's just that the g12ms get dominated and add mushiness at gig volumes.........one of the reasons one gets v30s is for that tight percissive low-end ....so to go
    $#&% it up with a g12m is pointless ..................and then to only allow yourself to use 30 to 40 % of the v30s volume so as not to blow the poor g12m suckers......
    Damn bros there are better and more complimetary matches out there like .......mixing a v30 with another v30...........that should provide better results...he he he

rick

8. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

[​IMG]
    The extension cab is v30/ GB, I love the sound, the cab is dovetailed pine, rear load, home built and goes well with the 10's in the VK. Different sound from 3 different speakers, mike what you want!:AOK

9. Curt

Curt Member

I had the combination you mentioned in my Z-best cab. Absolutely hated the V30. I replaced it with an Eminence Red Fang. Muuuuuuch better.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've been using a V30 + G12M in an open back cab with 20W and 30W amp for six years. I love the sound! Big bottom and stout upper mids from the V30.....midrange fill and growl from the G12M. Very nice combination, IMO.

11. UfoPilot

UfoPilot Member

Dr.Z cabs have this combo

12. Berre

Berre Member

well I tried it, but didn't like it.....

maybe a G12H / Vintage 30 combination is the way to go... !?

bert

13. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

had it in a Z best 2x12 for a while. Not too bad, but the G12H30 was better and gave the cab a wider freq range and better tighter low end. Volume levels were the problem though. Went with a Germino 8 ohm cab w/ celestion G12M heritages and volume is way better and speakers are still warm and defined.

14. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Man, the thought of a V30 and G12M scares the hell out of me.

Rather have both V30's or both G12M's. That pair just seems like it's feeding the other's weakness.

But hey, that's just my opinion. That and 4 bucks can get me a Latte':cool:

15. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

I find the best combination is the greenback and the G12H.It sounds great at any volume level and distorted sounds are divine.Much nicer than 2 greenbacks together.V-30's are best paired together.