• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Vintage 30 lack of bass?

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
I recently picked up a Bad Cat Cougar 5 which came with a Vintage 30. It’s an open back cabinet and not huge, but not small either. The speaker sounds pretty good, but has very little bass.

In your experience does the V30 lack bass or should I look elsewhere? I realize it’s just a 5 watt amp, but still.

What would you recommend as a replacement 12” speaker for a small EL84 based amp? Greenback?

Thanks

77custom

You need a closed back cabinet. I never liked the open back with a vintage 30. All the bass escapes out of the rear!

Heady Jam Fan

I like V30's in an open back cab, but in a 112 combo it can sound small since the upper mids take over.

You need to break in the speaker before you judge it (if its not yet). This means 20 hours of fairly loud playing.

Celestions are midrange focused, so they don't have the bass or treble of some other speakers, but the V30 has an "H" sized magnet. "H" is Celestion's heavy magnet, which will toss out more low-end than their "M" size magnet. So, compared to other Celestion speakers, the V30 has a decent bass response.

Another thing to consider is whether your actually lacking bass or if you actually have a perfectly midrange-focused tone for guitar. When we play by ourselves, we tend to want to hear way more bass than we need and that amount of bass would be really muddy with a band.

Finally, I did not like a V30 too much with the Mesa Express Plus 5:25 (but I didn't like the 5:25 too much to start with - lot of EL84 upper mids that I couldn't dial out and were accentuated by the speaker). However I think it goes well with the Mesa Mini Rec and a fair number of people use them in small Fender amps including the Blues Junior (another EL84 amp).

IMO, your playing a 5w amp. Its not going to sound huge, even through a 412 of EVM's. Its simply because the low watt tube and small iron (output transformer) don't produce the low-lows that a big amp does. Again, I think this would sit well in a band mix with other musicians (if loud enough), but will sound small when your at home comparing to the sound of a 100w amp in your mind. Let the V30 break in and see if you start to enjoy it more. Listen to some recordings - the guitars usually have a lot of their bass eq'ed out to make space for the bass guitar and kick drum. I'll bet the Bad Cat actually sounds closer to that than you'd notice at first.

ugameus

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think the greenback will give you more bass. Get a G12H30 for that. You will get more highs as well.

Dave

The Vintage 30 has plenty of low end. It's the amp that's the problem. A different cabinet might help a little, but it's a 5 watt amp, ya know?

freaksho

. . . in a 112 combo it can sound small since the upper mids take over. . .

. . . Celestions are midrange focused, so they don't have the bass or treble of some other speakers, but the V30 has an "H" sized magnet. "H" is Celestion's heavy magnet, which will toss out more low-end than their "M" size magnet. So, compared to other Celestion speakers, the V30 has a decent bass response . . .

. . . IMO, your playing a 5w amp. Its not going to sound huge, even through a 412 of EVM's. Its simply because the low watt tube and small iron (output transformer) don't produce the low-lows that a big amp does. Again, I think this would sit well in a band mix with other musicians (if loud enough), but will sound small when your at home comparing to the sound of a 100w amp in your mind . . .
I don't think the greenback will give you more bass. Get a G12H30 for that. You will get more highs as well.
agreed.

V30's have their place but not as the lone speaker in a 1x12 imo. they have pretty good & tight low end but when alone that presence spike takes over. G12H30 style is one of my favs in a 1x12 - lot's of low end and nicely balanced. would be great with your 5W amp methinks. but again, don't expect the thump of a 100 watter either. and for a slightly smoother overall voicing look at the G12H30 clone by WGS called the Reaper, or even the Reaper HP (smoother still, and more power handling). WGS is very well respected around here and they're only $80 new!

vrdyer

Another thing to consider is that the speaker may be hooked up incorrectly. That is, you need to check the wires to the speaker to make sure it is phased correctly. Positive to Positive and neg to neg.

Cirrus

Another thing to consider is that the speaker may be hooked up incorrectly. That is, you need to check the wires to the speaker to make sure it is phased correctly. Positive to Positive and neg to neg.
The absolute polarity shouldn't matter in the case of a single speaker.

Top Bottom