vintage 30 to shrill...speaker recomendations

Badbirdie

I have 2 vintage 30s in my 2x12 cab, and Im cant stand the spikey mis and shrill highend from these speakers... any recomandations for a warmer speaker with a balanced midrange and smooth highs? Im runing the cab with a Cornford RK100, so the speakers should be over 50w each.

Roobubba

Might not be 100% what you've described, but I would recommend trying some G12K100s. Utterly superb speaker :)

Hacksaw

Time Warped
Platinum Supporting Member
I went with the Scumbcks H75/M75 65 watt speakers. The scumbacks fixed my v30 problems. Smooth highs and pulle down the mids. on my amp I use about 20% more mid control now. ( guessing the %) I do like the scumback speaker cone breakup better than other speakers I have used. The character is just sweet.

Good luck on your venture! Speakers are fun!

Badbirdie

Thanks alot for the replies:) means alot to me because Im kinda a noob when it comes to speakers. In my experience so far, the speakers are very important in the search for great tone. The amp sounds great trough my 4x12 with eminence speakers, but the v30s in my 2x12 sound boomy and shrill, and seem to miss some important frequenzies in the mids. Maybe its the speaker/cab combo, or the amp just doesent play well with v30s... Ill look into the recomendations:AOK

meterman

G12H-30s, my favorite speaker, preferably one each of the 70th Anniversary and Heritage models, great combo. Can't stand V30s either, very harsh and spiky....

hamfist

I have 2 vintage 30s in my 2x12 cab, and Im cant stand the spikey mis and shrill highend from these speakers... any recomandations for a warmer speaker with a balanced midrange and smooth highs? Im runing the cab with a Cornford RK100, so the speakers should be over 50w each.
Celestion G12-65's will fit the bill perfectly !!

Or if you are in the US, speak to Jim at Scumback speakers - http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/ about some H75's or M75's.

I am sure you will be very pleased with either of these alternatives !

Trending Topics