Vintage 30s can be too harsh. any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sunstone Recordings, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

Hi, I've got an Orange AD30tc combo w/ vintage 30's, and the high end can be very harsh at times. I can dial it out on the amp, but then it sounds a bit muffled.

any suggestions for a replacement set?

2. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I have the same problem and have been tempted to try some of the new Eminence speakers, but have not done so yet. There are tons of comments on this forum from fellow users. I'd be curious to know what you end up with and your comments.

3. Sunstone Recordings

I read that celestion blues could fix the problem, anyone have these?

4. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

Eminence Governors are probably what you want. They have the agressive midrange of the Vintage 30s, but none of the harsh high/high-mids. My favorite Eminence for sure.

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

I'd go with a pair of Blues, Weber AlNiCos or Red Fangs, depending on your finances.

I have a pair of Blues, and even in their pre-broken in state, they already sound better than I could've imagined.

6. Sunstone Recordings

7. bscepter

bscepter Member

Most people seem to think so. For the best deal, though, talk to Dave at Avatar. He'll set you up right. Great cabs, too.

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I NEVER likes V30's, stiff sterile, YUK!!

Try G12H's or GB's, I always thought the G12h's to be warmer, others disagree.
    If you have the coin try the new Heritage G12M's, they are my favorite for sure. Avatar has them now at a reasonable price.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Both my V-30's and G12H-30's were harsh until I put about 10-15 hours at volume on them.I almost gave up on them it took so long for them to break in!

10. Sunstone Recordings

well, unfortunately my v30s have had more than enough break in time. I bought my amp used just about a year ago, and I've played it almost everyday at very loud volumes. Considering I don't know how often the previous owner used it... It may be time to replace them anyway. Blues are looking terribly pricey, how do the weber alnico blue dogs compare?

11. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

just before i sold my orange ad30 head and cab, i got to play the head through my new divided by 13 cab loaded with a g12h30 and a blue. The speakers made a world of difference and i loved what it did to the amp. The amp is kind of harsh as it is, i had it tubed with jj's and that helped, but the speakers made the biggest difference. you may want to try a g12h30 and either a blue, or a weber.

12. Timster

Timster Member

get a weber beam blocker - they can help to tame the high end a bit, and are a lot cheaper than buying a new speaker.

13. axelicker

axelicker Member

+1 on the Weber beam blockers.
    Instantly turned my scowl into a smile

14. MARCO

MARCO Member

You can try Scumbag speakers or some of Ted Weber's C1230-55's or his C12V which has a similar tone to the V-30 but smoother in the highs and mids.....Ted will even break them in for you so they sound smooth right out of the box. Hope that helps.
    :D

15. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

oh man make a list. i've been hearing A LOT of good stuff about those red fangs. they seem to be a popular choice

16. Tapp

Tapp Member

I think V30's are very cabinet dependent. I have a pair in a Jenkins 2-12 (standard deep version) and man these speakers with this cabinet are heaven to my ears. I run this 2-12 closed. The G12H's sound good but a little scooped to my ears. I've read where others like 1-V30 and 1-G12H to balance.

tapp

17. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I absolutely love V30's!!!!! But! I'm only going by my experience with my V30's I bought in the early 1990's and I've played the hell out of them so they are very broken in. They are very edgy and articulate with a tight and arrogant bottom end. I do find I prefer them in a mix with the G12H30. It could be that it's just me and my tastes, I can't stand the Celestion Blues where everyone else seems to think they are the cat's whiskers, so one man's treasure is another man's garbage. It all comes down to different players are into different tones.

18. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Plus one on Governors. I like V30s in closed cabs rearmounted, but the Governor seems to retain the V30 attitiude without that wicked upper-mid spike you're probably objecting to. Still has that great cut in a band mix!-Eric

19. Sudsysul

Sudsysul Member

My fave combination, and a very popular one on Gear Page, is the H30/V30 in a 2X12. So you could experiment rather cheaply by just buying a H30 and pull one of your V30's. If you don't want to break it in, buy a Hellatone from Dave at Avatar Speakers, and he does the breaking in for you. I have one cab with the Hellatone V30/H30 combo and it definitely has the old speaker vibe about it, ie. a softer high end.

20. dfarrar

dfarrar Silver Supporting Member

Plus 2 on the Emi Governors. They may just be what you are looking for. I have a set (16ohm) e mail me if your interested in a swap as I prefer the grittier quality of the v-30's.