vintage 30's vs. G12h.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markezgotez, Jun 15, 2008.

1. markezgotez

markezgotez Member

hi everybody, i am going to be putting new speakers into my hot rod deville 212... the 2 speakers that i have been thinking of and have been recommended are the vintage 30's, and the g12h's. i don't have any experience with different types of speakers... could you guys shed some light on what these speakers will sound like?? thanks. mark

2. howthewestwas1

howthewestwas1 Supporting Member

in my experience the v30s are a bit tigther, louder and more prominent upper mid-range. the h30s have an earlier breakup with slightly more relaxed highs and mids.

3. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have a lot of experiance with V30's (tey're pretty bright in the upper mids but cut really well and sound pretty "mean"). I just got some G12H's to go with them and it added some bass and lower mids (I'd put a G12H30 (75Hz) with a V30 (since they're 55Hz speakers).

On a side note, I have a '59 Bassman reissue with a 212 baffle and use a Weber Silver Bell and Blue Dog (both ceramic magnets) and it sounds great.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Put both in! Bob

5. markezgotez

markezgotez Member

hmmm. sounds like i will like the vintage 30's more. i want a nice tight bass... with a nice clear treble... most of the time i just play with a boost pedal on. clean with mild break-up... so i want it to be very clear. but every now and then i like to use a cranked fuzz like a big muff or a fuzz face... and i still want that to cut through. sounds like the v30 would be the better choice.

6. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

one of each ;)

I have two 1x12 OS from port city and it is very nice...one V30 and one G12H30

7. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

For that amp, I'd go V30. I love G12s, but they can get spikey. V30s can too, but I think they handle gain, articulation, and punch better.

8. JimH

JimH Member

I prefer the natural tone of the G12H but V30s are tough - they can handle more without getting flubby - if you want to keep it tight - and particularly if you want to crank your amp, but not generate speaker distortion, you may prefer V30s. Personally I'd have a G12H and a greenback.

9. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

do one of each....seriously....the differences in the speakers will compliment each other.

Also, they'll need break in before they sound their best.

You could buy already-broken-in G12H30s and V30s from Avatar,
    they're known as a Hellatone 30 and a Hellatone 60

The G12H30 and Vintage 30 pairing was standard issue in a lot of Matchless 2x12 amps

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Rather then get the Celestion V30, try the Warehouse speaker Veteran 30, you can buy these for $45 plus shipping and they are IMHO a improved V30 speaker. The downside of Celestions is the high midrange spike can be fatiguing, the Warehouse speaker does not have this nasty spike.

11. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

What speakers are in ther enow and what don't you like about them, what tonal improvements/changes are you going for?

12. markezgotez

markezgotez Member

right now they have the stock fender eminence speakers... i find that they sound a little muddy and can be a little too heavy on the bass end of things. they don't sound terrible. but i tried a hot rod deluxe that had a v30 in it.. compared it to a hrd with the stock speaker, and it was a much clearer sound. the overwhelming bass was gone, and the trebles seemed to jump out a little more... it had a little more "life" to it...

13. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

They are perfect complements to each other.

I would always go for V30s first because they work all around for everything. The G12Hs can be spikey, harsh, or bright til they break in (not an easy task) and even then, they are a bit mid-scooped, and not always as much a no-brainer as the V30s.
    V30s are an industry standard for a reason.

I do own 2 sets of these speakers, and I have to agree, use one of each and you will be VERY happy, though live/studio 9 out of 10 soundmen will NEVER mic both speakers.

14. Simpy

Simpy Member

I've had experiences with both of these. I've pretty much decided that I only like the G12h when it's paired with a different speaker, such as my 2-12 cab that I use with my Sewell Texaverb 15(I pair it with a Blue, sounds terrific). As far as my Deluxe Reverb goes, a V30 just works in it. There's no mid control on a Deluxe Reverb, so I don't get the whole midrange thing that the other guys are talking about, but the speaker just sounds like it should be there. You might try mixing speakers in your amp, to me it's the real secret to getting that "Matchless" sound, different breakups at different volumes, works pretty good with my 15wt Sewell.

15. markezgotez

markezgotez Member

that is something that i should consider... i have tried batcat's and some divided by 13's that did the mismatched speaker thing and sounded very good. although i was playing through those and not my hot rod deville. but they cab's sounded perfect. i think i may try that... one of each. if i don't like it i can always just put 2 of the same in... a little off topic... but how big of a difference does replacing the transformers make?? say with like a mercury or something... is it worth it??

16. 5E3

5E3 Member

As others have already said; one of each in a 2x12. You'll cover a lot of tonal ground that way!