Vintage 30s with Vintage Modern?

Hefalump

I know the Greenback is suppose to be "the" speaker for vm amps, but, does anyone run v30s with their vm???

MRscratch

Hopefully you have the G12C that should be with the VM?
I don't like V30 with Marshalls. Too honky for me.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I've used an old pair of Marshall-labelled V30s in a 2x12 with my 2466. I liked them a lot, but ultimately went with a 1960BX 4x12.

The V30s did sound great though, and are worth a try. (This pair was very worked-in, which makes a difference.)

I think the next 2x12 I get (don't have one currently), I'm going to go with V30s. More punch and bottom than a pair of Creambacks, Scumbacks, etc.

On a related note, I'm always on the lookout for a 425B cab, they almost never come up used around here.

Killer amp, by the way!

Serenity

Slash used the VM with Velvet Revolver, the dirt parts on Libertad are recorded with that amp, and he favors V30's.

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
What a great comparison. One thing that surprised me was how much louder the Greenbacks sounded than everything else at supposedly identical settings. They also sounded the best with that amp. No close second IMO.
This video confirms how bad the G12T-75 really is. At least for overdriven chords. Man it castrates an amp. Garbage.
I'm a V30 player but there is something about how the thicker basket weave Bogner grill attenuates it that makes it sound good to me. That Legacy cab with the horrid metal screen sounded really harsh with them.
I don't play a VM but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't x pattern some Greenbacks in my cab:dunno

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
I love v30's. I think the one I have sounds best with my Bogner Metropolis. They do well with Voxy circuits.

For my 2266, I use a pair of Crossroads and Creamback M's in my 4-12.

Hefalump

Thanks guys.

When I bought my VM head, I tried it out through a 4 x 12 of greenbacks, and it was STELLAR!!!!

BUT, my current 4 x12 has G12T75's in it, and I have the EQ dialled in so it sounds decent.

Locally there is an OLD 2 x12 fender cab with V30's and also a traynor 4 x 12 with V30s that are affordable (half price of typical greenback 4x12).

Last edited:

Dannyz

Thanks guys.

When I bought my VM head, I tried it out through a 4 x 12 of greenbacks, and it was STELLAR!!!!

BUT, my current 4 x12 has G12T75's in it, and I have the EQ dialled in so it sounds decent.

Locally there is an OLD 2 x12 fender cab with V30's and also a traynor 4 x 12 with V30s that are affordable (half price of typical greenback 4x12).

Please ditch the G12T75´s, because of those speakers you will end up selling the VM and becoming a VM hater lol. Jokes apart, you cant explore the full potential of the VM line with the wrong speakers. V30´s worked for Slash.

Im using my 1960tv tall vintage with chinese G12Ms but i feel tempted to swap the two bottom greenbacks for two V30 ala Friedman cabs and see what happens. My other cab is a Laney Lionheart 2x12 with G12H30 Heritage 55hz Greenbacks. They work great with the VM but are less sweeter and more tighter, brighter. The amp´s EQ with those speakers become more even, with less breakup. When you tweak the pots they get more "active" if you will. The "everything on 10" doesnt work that well, you need to cut a bit of treble, presence and mids.

Last edited:

Trending Topics