vintage 60s "holy grail" Vox AC30 experts... which one of current Vox lineup nails that sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dirtytony, Jul 21, 2019.

1. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

Hi
    Id like to know from vintage 60s AC30 experts which one of the current VOX AC30 replicas (or recent ones) nails exactly the original sound

Thank you very much

2. hogy

hogy Member

3. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

not even close?:anon

bluesbreaker59 and RAG7890 like this.
  4. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

5. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

thanks, skipped that

6. hogy

hogy Member

You asked which one "nails exactly the original sound", not which one "comes close".

jdel77, geek-mo and bluesbreaker59 like this.
  7. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

you are right (I was on the positive side) ...and one that comes close?:beer ..Ive read the 4 pages of the other thread but could not come out with a winner...

8. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

There’s not one. The most current Vox models aren’t even in the same ballpark. Save your money and buy an original.

I own a real 1963 Vox candy panel head and it’s pure magic

9. murraythek

murraythek Member

I went down this rabbit hole and the closet I've come is a Valvetech Hayseed. He has since gone out of business so you may have trouble finding them.

10. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

thanks guys, unfortunately originals are way out of my reach so I need to find an alternative... can you please explain the main differences, in your experience, of current ones vs vintage (more clear? more highs? etc)
    thanks a lot

11. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

New things sound new, old things sound old. If you went strictly by quatifiable measurents, then new gear likely has a wider frequency response. I find the same thing with newer guitars vs old guitars. Old guitars likely sounded a bit different than when they were new, too.

Line up 6 vintage AC30s and no two will sound exactly the same. Discounting parts tolerances, time ages different things differently depending on use and environment.

In the 70s the vintage market began because the new instruments were made differently. Now they can make gear like the old stuff. The thing is to identify what characteristics you want, and play everything that you can get your hands on.

Godspeed64 likes this.
  12. norska

norska Supporting Member

I have a 1965 super twin non-top boost 1/4 stack and I have yet to find anything modern that can touch it. The Pulsonic cones play a huge role in the sound.

mdubya likes this.
  13. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

Check out the AC15 Handwired. It isn't a typical AC15, it's more like a 15 watt AC30. It won't get that exact 60s Vox tone, but it's the closest I've heard from their current production lineup.

dirtytony likes this.
  14. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

thanks, very interesting

myaudiodna likes this.
  15. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

My experience on new production and “clones” vs my own ‘63 AC30 head with add on top boost

1. Old AC30’s sound more full
    2. Old AC30’s sound bigger
    3. Old AC30’s have more harmonics
    4. Old AC30’s are darker and richer, to me this is the thing that no modern AC30 gets
    5. Old AC30’s top boost channel is NOT a blizzard of nails coming at your ears

Now before anyone says “it’s old fancy tubes and old broken in speakers”... WRONG!!!

1. I have a NCM 2x12 cab loaded with Scumback Scumnicos and my amp has JJ EL84’s, preamp tubes is a mix of Valvo, Brimar and Mullard.

2. I tried other Vox and Hayseed Amps with better preamp tubes into the same 2x12 amp. Both amps were far brighter, narrower frequency response and neither had the crazy harmonics of the vintage unit.

RAG7890, ToneLounge, ricnvox and 3 others like this.
  16. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

thanks, that explains a lot

17. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

18. teleluvver

teleluvver Member

I don’t understand why a modern builder can’t nail the tone of an old Vox AC30. I used to think that nothing could ever replicate the sound of a vintage Fender or Marshall (or vintage anything). For 20+ years I believed that. Then last year I played a Redplate Magica. I have owned many vintage amps, and still have a ‘55 Deluxe and a ‘65 Princeton, and my ears are as picky as anyone's. But that Redplate stunned me, blew me away, and proved me wrong. Now, it didn’t have the “mojo”, “history”, “smell”, and other intangibles that come with a vintage amp, but it flat out sounded great, and it didn’t require vintage speakers or NOS tubes to do so. And, by the way, it also had two channels, great volume control, and a great effects loop.

19. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

If you can hang with 15w instead of 30, the Magic Amplication Brit is the closest I've heard/played to an old vintage Vox. The amp just has that tone and feel. Highly recommended... no longer made but can be found used often.

20. drewl

drewl Member

With a little tweaking the TBX reissues from the 90's are damn close with Celestion Blues.

Gigged the hell out of '93 and it just keeps sounding better and better, damn close to my '65.

chillybilly likes this.