Vintage 65 Deluxe Reverb - 2 Questions (for now)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by strat6866, Sep 30, 2008.

1. strat6866

strat6866 Member

I recently acquired a vintage Deluxe Reverb amp that will need some work done. It definitely needs a new speaker and may also need tube replacements as well as some possible electronic work. Since i have no prior experience with vintage amps i have a couple of questions:
    1. Am i better off trying to find an original vintage Fender speaker, some other brand vintage speaker, or just buy a new speaker that will sound good with this amp. I am thinking of both resale value as well as best sound. Same goes for tubes and a jewel light etc, etc.

2. Does anyone know a good, trusted amp repair guy in southeastern Mass. that you can recommend.

Thanks in advance!

2. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

1. It depends on whether you intend to gig with it or not. If you are intending to gig, replace the speaker with something modern. Opinions vary but I use an Eminence RW&B with good results. Keep the original speaker for resle later. Tubes should be whatever you prefer, new or NOS. NOS RCA's or GE's would add the the resale value. Any faceted red jewel light will do.
    2. Can't recommend a tech but if the power supply caps have not been changed, do so.
    3. Get a good cover if you're gigging.

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

Frankly, if you get a new speaker, any well-respected choice won't negatively affect resale value much at all, unless you're comparing to a vintage Jensen C12N which tends to be more rare and higher demand. Tubes, not much of a different story there unless you're talking Mullards. So get a new set of JJ 6V6S and you and the wallet will like it. :)

So go for a Weber 12F150, Eminence RW&B, or Eminence Cannabis Rex if you want something that plays great in the amp and is yet economical.

4. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

I agree with what has been said on the speaker. Most vintage Fender's do not come with their original speakers. Add to that the fact that most vintage speakers are pretty readily available, and you're not looking at too much loss in resale value if using a nice modern speaker.

I buy both old and new speakers for my old Fender's. I have a 1960 P12N in my Deluxe Reverb and will try out a Tone Tubby ceramic just to see the differences.

BTW, some old speakers may look good i.e. no tears, but they may be tired and worn out from the years

5. strat6866

strat6866 Member

Guys,
    thanks for the advice so far! keep it coming!

anyone from Mass know a reputable amp guru in case i need further work done on the electronics?

cheers

6. strat6866

strat6866 Member