Vintage 65 Super Reverb vs. 66 Super Reverb

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
Aside from the year of manufacture, are there any other notable differences in circuit or tonality?

Generally the 65's command more money in the market?

Thanks!

bigben55

I think Leo sold Fender to CBS in 1965. People "think" pre-1965, Leo Fender himself was involved with all the Fender gear. While that may be true to some extent, I have yet to see any legit differences. Same parts stock, same employees soldering away......

I had a 1965 Tremolux. Currently have a 1966 Super Reverb. I like the SR way more. If there actually IS legitimate reasons a 65 is "better" than a 66, I'd love to hear them here.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
i think Ben summed it up great. Same AB763 circiut. i cant see anyone being able to tell the difference in a dark room as to which is which

cap217

Circuit would be the same because no changes happened there but I think there is a chance "cheaper" parts were starting to be used. Even something like thinner wire or different power cable or solder. Anyway they figured a way to save money went into effect but maybe not that soon.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I know the 65SR is 'the grail' but was just curious, though my assumption was that circuit-wise they'd be identical, same trannies, etc.

Was there a stock speaker-change from 65 to 66?

swiveltung

No difference really. My 66 was my favorite. There were many different speakers used, hard to say, probably just what they had in stock at the time. CTS, Oxford, Jensen, alnico, ceramic.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
i have the oxfarts in my 69 VL. despite the bad reviews on them and being theyre almost 50 years old and still going i do not think they sound that bad. i read some came with a JBL upgrade but i yet to see one in person

jonnytexas

I can only speak to my experience, but I have always found the vintage speakers "tired" sounding. I do often gig unmiced, and they just wouldn't allow me to comp cleanly. Too little headroom for me. All of mine have improved vastly from speaker changes.

Boomstick

There was no changes until '68 when they changed from the blackface cabinet to the silverface cabinet. The inital silverface Super Reverbs are actually the same exact amps too, but by the end of '68 they had changed to the AB568 circuit (which wasn't all that different and could still be easily modified back to the well-loved AB763.

Great amp though.

jazzwannabe

Gold Supporting Member
Date codes on the parts aren't always the most reliable way to date a Fender. My 67 Super Reverb says "Fender Musical" on the faceplate but "Fender Electric" on the back plate. Transformers and choke date from late 1964 to late 1966. Chassis code indicates 1965, tube chart says 1966. I have no idea of the exact date of this amp or if any parts have been changed out.

Last edited:

Benny

In my experience with many Super Reverbs over the years, any significant differences in the current tone of one BF-era Super Reverb versus another is much more attributable to the brand/model/age/condition of the speakers and tubes, component value drift, replaced parts, and the vagaries of fifty years of making music, as opposed to anything attributable to the original manufacture of the amp.

The speaker difference is really not to be overlooked - my two current supers sound pretty different because one has DT-10's and the other has CTS ceramics. You swap the cabs, and they're pretty much indistinguishable.

67super

The components in all these old amps were not precision even when they were new. Now they are 50 years old. For example, a 100K resistor in 1966 could have a value of 95K to 105K in 1966. They were not milspec and after 50 years there values are all over the place. This makes every amp sound different.

The electrolytic caps which most people change (as they should) usually measure much larger values today. A 25uF cathode cap will measure 50uF today for example. When you do the necessary cap job these old amps bass response becomes tighter do to returning to their original specs.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Great info, guys, thank you for the input. Some of the info like speakers, tubes, etc really affects every amp to some degree, so I totally understand that.

So, all things being equal, in the years 1965-1966, would it be safe to assume that they are pretty much the same amp?

Curveball: Have any of you guys also played Vibroluxs (2x10) of the same vintage, and you could draw a comparison between a 65/66 Super and a Vibrolux?

bigben55

I would say any blackface, 1963-1967 is a winner. Silverface ones up until they added master volumes are a close 2nd. "Blackfacing" them isn't too involved.

If i had to buy another, honestly, I'd get a silverface then use the money I saved to service it, blackface it, buy alnico speakers and NOS tubes.

Loudguitar

I have a Super Reverb that left the factory in August 1967. AB763 circuit, original speakers, wiring, and slip cover. It has made me a lot of money. My most prized possession. I paid a classmate $125 for it in 1971. I quit gigging with it in 1995.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom