Vintage Amp Tube Replacements: 6EU7???

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by V-Mike, Feb 18, 2008.

1. V-Mike

V-Mike Member

I have an Epiphone Electra and it uses 12AU7's, 6BQ5's (EL84), and 6EU7. What kind of tube replaces a 6EU7??? I think they control the reverb and tremolo circuits, but I haven't found any yet. If anyone knows what the replacement would be or where to get 6EU7 NOS, I would love to know...

2. hogy

hogy Member

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    ...or at the link below if you want tubes with a warranty.

4. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

There is no drop-in replacement for a 6EU7. The sockets can be rewired for 12AX7s, if you know what you're doing. The 6EU7 is a high-gain twin triode preamp tube, designed for low noise and distortion.

Most old Epiphones are just rebadged Gibsons, sometimes with some cheaper components.

A common Gibby configuration was 2 6EU7s with one side of both tubes wired for preamps, one side of V1 was reverb output amp, one side of V2 was tremolo. One 12AU7 was used as reverb driver, and the phase inverter was either a transformer or another 12.

Sovtec has a new 6EU7 out, fairly cheap, they're a bit noisier and have a bit harsher tone than NOS.

If you haven't already, oughta have the power supply caps changed out, and the usual 3-wire safety cord done.

5. V-Mike

V-Mike Member

Thanks for the tips guys, I am definitely doing the three-prong power supply upgrade, the tubes in it are RCA's (the orginals), so I think I'll let 'em stay in there for a while.

6. eldungo

eldungo Senior Member

Hey, V-Mike, I have one. At least my list says I do. And sure enough my notes say Gibson amp tube. It's an NOS or at least almost. It's one of the few I have in a box. Labeled as a British GE. Whatever that means. I'll dig it up. PM me.