Vintage Ampeg amp owners! Need Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrecoVee, Aug 10, 2008.

1. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Hey Guys!
    Need to know the value of an early to mid`70's Ampeg V4 head. This has the black rocker switches (not white) over both of the volume controls for each channel,treble and mid controls as well. Also has the metal on/off,standby and polarity switches. This is a non master volume amp.
    It's had a cap job done and fully serviced and has a new power cord. It has most of the original tubes including Magnavox labeled 7027A's and some others. not all the tubes are original. It's in great working order and the chassy looks great but the head box has a few small nicks.
    I'm the owner of this amp and I'm thinking about either posting it here or throwing it on ebay.
    What do you think it's worth?:munch
    Thanks Guys!

2. ricoh

ricoh Member

They don't bring what they should but I wouldn't want to guess.
    I payed $350.00 for a VT-22 about 10 years ago. Man is that a heavy amp!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I can lift it anymore without hurting myself!!!!

3. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

They've gone up considerably in the last 10 years. I payed $650 for my V4 a few years ago. A little high for the time, but the prices have gone up a bit since then. I see them listed for $7-800. Personally, I wouldn't buy one for that price unless they've had a thorough once over by a tech.

4. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

yeah, I'd say 5-600 with original caps and components cause most, if not all need some TLC since they run on the verge of tube cookage

5. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Member

Wow, I bought my V-4B on eBay a couple years ago for $475. At least I've had a tendency of buying gear that goes up in value.

6. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

That's exactly how I thought about listing it on eBay!
    $500.+ shipping opening bid, No Reserve, or just maybe putting a BIN on it of $700.
    This one has already been gone over by a tech, I know he recapped it, changed a few minor components that needed changing, cleaned everything and checked the tubes.

7. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

This all jives with what I've seen over the last couple years... $500 is the low end for amps that might need a little help, nice ones going for around $750.

8. RocknTommy

RocknTommy Member

I sold my VT-22, it was 95% mint, for $600.00 about two years ago local.
    The V4 heads are gaining so starting at $500.00 on Ebay is very fair
    for a nice one. Still have my V4 head and thinking of doing the same thing.
    The only issue I have is shipping since they weigh a ton and I do not want the thing destroyed in transit. Sure there is insurance but would hate to see a nice amp get wrecked. Anybody ever ship one of these bad boys before without a case?

9. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

I had an SVT shipped to me without a case without incident, so it can certainly be done. It just needs to be packaged properly. Try to pull up the amp packaging thread on this forum... Or it might be in the FAQ or something.

Edit: nevermind, here ya go:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=288817

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  10. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Member

When my V-4B was shipped to me it wasn't packed great, hell, when I got it part of the amp was poking out of the box! It still worked great though!