Vintage Ampeg's and Tube Availability

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ChrisVereb, Apr 12, 2016.

1. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

I've been considering buying an older Ampeg combo lately and I'm curious if tube availability will be an issue. It seems like the older Ampeg's seem to contain tubes that are less common in amp designs now, and I'm somewhat hesitant to buy an older amp that would present problems with sourcing parts for maintenance. For instance, I was looking at a Gemini VI today and read that it takes a pair 7159A power tubes. That tube turns up 0 results at the tube store. I'm betting there's some supply out there, but what about in 10 years..and a what cost?

The prices are reasonable (IMO) on older Ampegs, and I realize it all comes down to risk assessment, but I'm curious if TGP has any input on this I hadn't considered. Or possibly alternate amps that sound like an old Ampeg Gemini that use more widely available tubes. I've really been enjoying Heath Fogg's (Alabama Shakes) tone lately for some context on what I'm hoping to get from the amp.

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

$120-$160 for a matched pair of NOS power tubes.

Many original preamp tubes may still be good.

Make sure tremolo and reverb are working.

3. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Grasley likes this.
  4. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

I guess you can't trust everything on the internet:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...-the-tube-order-in-an-ampeg-gemini-vi.310171/

A search for "ampeg gemini vi tubes" led me there, which lists it as 7159A instead of 7591a. There's a few other pages that incorrectly list it as 7159A as well, to where I didn't doubt it. Thanks for the heads up!

5. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Well that page is sketchy.......
    I'll check mine when I get home to make sure.

6. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    A lot of those Gemini's have been converted to run 6L6s IIRC, so there's always that to consider. I have a Reverbojet here, runs the 7591As, they're used in old hi-fi gear and I know there are a couple that make them. Also has a 6U10 which I doubt is in production, but I don't think NOS are very expensive.

7. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

$10
    http://www.kcanostubes.com/catalog/33

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

First, as others have pointed out, you gotta spell it right -- it's 7591, not 7159. Makes all the diff in the world ;).

Meanwhile, here's what used 7591s have been selling for on eBay. If you're value-oriented, your best bet is to find some used old stock tubes that have been tested (and come out pretty good) and the seller will refund if you're not happy. Plenty of sellers will. You'll see you do not need to spend 120 bucks/pair if you're willing to buy tubes that not supposedly "new".

9. MrFuzzTone

MrFuzzTone Supporting Member

a pair of new Electro Harmonix 7591A tubes are about $50
    Certainly NOS could be better but more $$$

10. zenas

zenas Member

I've hauled home two organs with a pair of 7591s in each. Plus some other nice tubes like a real Mullard British GZ34.
    Cost a little strain on my back and the guilt of saying "I'm hoping I can fix your grandmother's organ". Knowing I'm going to bone it out and toss the leftovers into the landfill.
    99.9% chance it was going there any way and with all those nice tubes.

11. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

JJ makes a 7591, also. I've got a set in my Goodsell Black Dog 30.

12. Grasley

Grasley Member

The 65amps Stone Pony runs on 7591's....very easy to find tubes for it.....the JJ's i tried were microphonic. Sent those back and got Tung-Sols

13. FFTT

FFTT Member

Mike at KCA has always treated me fairly.

I tried a guy in Florida and ended up with what was supposed to be a matched pair of 7591's only one was Sylvania, the other RCA.
    I keep them for backup.