• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Vintage Aussie amps

BADHAK

I had a 77 Baez lead 100 head that I never should have sold. A friend in a ACDC tribute has it now and won't sell it back. Don't think Michael Sampson is making amps anymore though. Great guy.

I also had a solid state Jansen back in the early 80's which was quiet nice.

Another amp not mentioned that was very popular is Vadis. My first amp was a beastly loud 60 watt valve model.

Thanks for the article. Sort of sad how that thriving industry died overnight once Marshalls and Fenders became affordable to the average Aussie muso. In the 60's / early 70's Aussie made amps were everywhere in live music clips, but by the late 70's / early 80's that had all changed.

jdel77

I've got a Baez cab sitting in the garage. It needs recovering.
I know where I can get the matching Superbass head too.

Our old guitarist had a Scion made by Darrell Hoy. Huge sounding amp. He's now making Valvetones.

Goldentone amps are stunning pedal platforms, in fact anything Rose Morris are awesome.

So many great Australian made amps.

Goldentone
Maton
Vadis
Wasp
Strauss
Lenard
Fi Sonic
Woogie
Jansen

There's more I know...

dohmar

Seen the Eminar amps around the place.

I'm surprised they left off 'Woogie' amps which were handmade here in Adelaide aaaages ago... iirc Frank who built them still works at FM Audio repairing tube amps

-D

kingdavidy2k

There's Vase amps. Still in production so not sure if it's vintage or not. They had a YouTube demo of their 18w EL84 amp recently. Sounds killer!

hurtwoodec

Silver Supporting Member
I had a 77 Baez lead 100 head that I never should have sold. A friend in a ACDC tribute has it now and won't sell it back. Don't think Michael Sampson is making amps anymore though. Great guy.

I also had a solid state Jansen back in the early 80's which was quiet nice.

Another amp not mentioned that was very popular is Vadis. My first amp was a beastly loud 60 watt valve model.

Thanks for the article. Sort of sad how that thriving industry died overnight once Marshalls and Fenders became affordable to the average Aussie muso. In the 60's / early 70's Aussie made amps were everywhere in live music clips, but by the late 70's / early 80's that had all changed.
Unfortunately Mick Sampson has been quite unwell and when last I spoke to him was getting out of the amp business. He even gave all of his service manuals away to Graham Goodacre (another tech in town). Great guy, a little nutty (in a good way)...........................

BADHAK

Unfortunately Mick Sampson has been quite unwell and when last I spoke to him was getting out of the amp business. He even gave all of his service manuals away to Graham Goodacre (another tech in town). Great guy, a little nutty (in a good way)...........................

Yep, with his oscilloscope he would look like the mad professor dialing in my amps. Will very much miss our talks about vintage Marshalls. Very sad.

jdel77

Oh really?
I must call him.
He used to do all my amps before I moved.
Lots of cups of tea at his place.
Lovely guy.

Badstrat

My Baez is still my #1 amp for gigs and I've had it since new in about '79. Mick gave it a recap a little while ago. Micks a real champion and great to deal with.It's a very reliable amp and built like a tank. I've got ANOS black plates in preamp and nos GE 6550 power tubes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom