Vintage Big Muff's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markezgotez, Apr 13, 2008.

1. markezgotez

markezgotez Member

the other day i tried a late 70's big muff and compared it to a reissue big muff. the vintage muff in my books was a much better sounding pedal... much smoother and creamier than the reissue. however it was very temperamental. even in the store. it would work. then it wouldnt. the tone knob would work. then it wouldnt. what is the reliability like in old big muff's. if i bought an old one i would still gig with it/ so it would have to be better than one i tried. what has your experience with vintage big muff's?

thanks, mark.

2. IAE

IAE Member

i got a 78 muff and its 100%. the RI's sound easily as good as the later vintage ones imo,they should do its the same circuit.

reliability isnt an issue with old EH effects imo.sounds like theres something wrong with the one you tried,but it also sounds like something very very minor that you could easily fix.

3. cacibi

cacibi Member

IMHO the vintage Muffs are fairly reliable except for the switches. The BYOC clone is a great deal if you're up to some soldering.

4. wren

wren Member

I have an old Big Muff that looks just like the current NYC reissue, only without an LED and with a tone bypass switch (I'm not a Muff genealogist, sorry). It's gone through a lot, and nothing on it is broken except for its 9-volt battery clip, and that was broken out of human stupidity.

And yes, it does sound better. :)

5. markezgotez

markezgotez Member

thanks. good to know that is probably just the pedal i tried. i liked it more than the reissue... i will see if they can check it out and see what is going on with it. if it is an easy fix, get them to do it. or look elsewhere. but i think i will be going with an old muff for sure.

have you guys had any experience with the different versions of them?? ie: the triangle, the rams head etc.... are there any differences with them?? or just collectibility factor??

6. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

I have had some vintage muffs and the only problem I had were bad jacks and one had some cold solder joints. The old big muffs are great pedals, but I like the new ones too, just different flavors of a great pedal.

7. IAE

IAE Member

there all different,even two identical versions can sound different.
    theres no "best muff" tho, its purely personal choice to which one you like.
    a lot of people say the triangle is the "best" but i dont really like the triangle muff nor the so called "ramshead",i like the IC version more than any transistor version. my favorite transistor version is the 06 one. theres a new 07 version now too, its not in all the shops yet but its slightly different to the current NYC BMP.
    you can only try out a few and see which ones you like and dont like,just dont get fooled into the "best" **** that people go on about.

8. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

check out ron sounds hair pie for the vintage tones nand newly built relaibility

9. JPF

JPF Member

My early '70s Big Muff Pi Deluxe (the chunky one with both compressor and fuzz circuits, with the blend switch) is still going strong. The thing's built like a brick, and sonically is about as subtle as a brick hurled through a plate glass window. :D

10. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

11. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

+1 to getting a RonSound HairPie, or better yet, have him mod your USA RI for $45!