• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Vintage Carvins

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Carvins from the '60s and '70s don't go for much considering they're technically vintage - any thoughts on their quality or sound? I'm looking at a CM95; this has a Hofner-built neck and (I think) a Carvin-built body shaped like an LP Special.

Any thoughts on Carvin's AP6 pickups? They look a bit like P-90s, but apparently they're humbuckers. How do they sound?

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
Never seen one in person. I think they are rather rare, and the Hofner necks makes them seem more like something that's cobbled together, rather than handcrafted like some of their later offerings.

I have an original 1962 catalog, and the guitars really look kinda cheap.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
The early '60s ones do look cheap, I agree. The line was totally different by the '70s, though. I'm just thinking that they might be sleepers since everybody raves about the pickups.

mike shaw

My buddy had an early 70's Carvin. Don't recall the model but it had a slab LP shaped body. Might have been a maple body. Had those big surface mounted black pups on it too.
The neck was super skinny. The action was very nice, but you had to have fingers like an elf to play chords.

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
I came across one back in the '90s at a local shop. It was LP shaped (flat on top though). It appeared to be from the 1960s, and had a beautiful birdseye maple body with clear finish. It was just a few hundred bucks at the time, I shoulda bought it!

Top Bottom