Vintage case gurus - help me date this case?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Sampler, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

Hello kind people. Hoping someone here can help me pin down the date/era of this case- I received it with a mid 60s gibson acoustic and am trying to see if it could be original to the guitar. While I know that gibson branded cases of the era had yellow lining it possible for the store to have sold you any case you wanted providing it fit the guitar. - I'm just not sure if this one is even in the ballpark. My best guess from research is that it's a Harptone case - it's quite heavy and very well made. Arched top, and curved bottom so as to accommodate an archtop but fits a dreadnought really well.

It has maroon plush and a plastic handle - pictures attached. Any ideas as to age? Anybody ever had one like it?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

Looks pretty shiny and bright for vintage. Any patina or wear? Looks like dirt on the close up of the handle. Good question.

3. Sampler

Yep, it's got some dirt but the hinges and hardware are quite clean with no oxidation. Inside is spotless. There is very little wear on the case as you can see. Guitar that came in the case is a 9.5 condition mid sixties Hummingbird.

4. schwa

schwa Member

I have a similar case - that handle is kinda unique, similar lining, latches etc. I got it with a new custom guitar in the late 80's or early 90's. I don't have access to the case right now - but I seem to recall it is a harptone or Ameritage.

5. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

I don't recall seeing any of those style handles during the 60s ?

6. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

In the 1960s Gibson sold cases separately from the guitar. So some other case could have been purchased then or at a later date. It could though still be a late 1960s generic Victoria Luggage case.

The handle is very similar to those found on Fender cases. Problem is, handles are easily replaced and that style is still readily available.

It is actually easier to say what the case is not. While the Victoria cases of the 1960s were fairly hefty, if it is something like a 1960s Harptone though it will be heavy. And I am talking Ameritage case heavy.

7. Sampler

Thanks for all of the replies thus far, I was kind of thinking it was from the 70s given the plastic handle but who knows. It's the heaviest case I own next to a high-end Cedar Creek Acoustic case with Crocodile Tolex. It's that heavy and substantial feeling. I'n starting to think it's safe to assume it was not purchased with the guitar in '64 but was added later to replace whatever case came with it. I am going to try to find a period correct case for it if I can - I'm sure there are some floating around. Thanks again to all for your input.

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Early 80s or later is my bet.

9. facesfan

facesfan Member

Definitely looks Harptone or other Canuck made HS that Elderly sold in 70's onward for decades. I ordered one from Elderly looked just like yours back in the early 80's for a Martin OO.

10. Spence25

Spence25 Member

I have a case exactly like this except for the handle amd the color of the interior. It is a TKL and I got it with a custom Classical guitar in 2005. It looks exactly like mine in every respect except the two issues noted above.

11. ryans guitar exp

ryans guitar exp Member

Definitely not an original Gibson case from the 60s. Gibson cases mostly had yellow/orange plush interior in the mid 60s. This case looks like 70s or 80s to me...maybe even newer.