Vintage CE-2 Help Needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vadsy, Apr 12, 2015.

1. vadsy

vadsy Supporting Member

I'm trying to figure out just how old this pedal is, if it is modded and what the dollar value might be.

The serial number looks like 9500 putting it in June of 1980 but is it smudged enough to possibly be something else?

The PCB, right in the middle, seems to have a couple of solder points empty, and they appear to have been used, is this a mod or something that was being done at factory, can someone confirm?

The battery hook up is damaged, should I replace it before selling? I can and even have Boss spares but is it a no-no possibly?

The last thing is value, with all of the various versions and multiple sources to look at for current selling prices I'm not sure where to start, any suggestions or guesses?

Thank you.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

Well, it's a silver screw CE-2, so that's pretty awesome. I'd date it late 70's/ early 80's. To value it, I'd look up completed listings on eBay and see what they actually sold for.

3. gmann

gmann Member

9500 isn't a serial number, it's a batch number. Still, it does indicate '80. Silver screw, very cool. It does look like it's been messed with tho and that affects price. Worth? Hard to say, they've made a million of them, still the silver screws are desireable.

4. jay42

jay42 Member

A transistor Q8 may have been replaced, probably with US footprint part (vs. Japanese 2SK or 2SC pinout). Nice pedal!

Look at the part closely. It is possible that it is a production repair. There maybe something wrong with the PCB.

I think I would remove the original battery clip and save it for "the buyer." Get a hard one instead, from mouser or Smallbear.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  5. vadsy

vadsy Supporting Member

Kind of a bummer I guess. It is good to know though.

Just to confirm, do these pictures help? I'm guessing something like this would be done as a fix to a faulty part, not mod it for sound or something similar?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I can't see why that's been done.
    Even if that middle leg (looks to be the Base of that transistor) was soldered to its pad, and the leg of that diode was soldered to its pad, there would still be continuity as the pads are connected.
    Beats me why they've been connected point to point. Maybe the solder pad has lifted and it hard to see or it's a replacement transistor.

7. Coda11

Coda11 Member

Sometimes, desoldering can be a pain in the a** so maybe the pad was removed by accident while changing the diode.

As is, there is no reason for doing this.

8. gmann

gmann Member

You can't really tell by the pics but I would guess a solder pad or trace had lifted and the repair was made on top of the board. Not a big deal to me buy it would be to a collector. Still, a nice pedal, box and adapter and all that.

9. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

as long as it works its still worth 150-200 ish

10. vadsy

vadsy Supporting Member

Thanks for the info.

I found it very strange that the two switching pins look factory soldered but the gate and diode are connected in free air bypassing the PCB, which by the way meters out just fine. The pedal works and sounds pretty decent, I'm not a huge chorus guy but this was a deal and a vintage pedal to try so I went for it. Just odd that this was done and why. Should I put things back on the board while I'm in fixing the battery snap?

11. stucker

stucker Member

I have one just like yours that I bought when they first came out (1979?). The oldest ones have the metal screw. Mine still works fine but the battery clip is worn out, just like yours!

There is something different about the ACA adapter required for this pedal (possibly the DC voltage?) from those that followed. And I remember that my Pedal Power II has a switch to accomodate this.

I agree with others that the solder pad lifted off the PCB and thats the reason for the direct connection - no issue with that.

The CE-2 is pretty desirable and I think you get get at least $150 for it, especially with the adapter included.

12. vadsy

vadsy Supporting Member

I got this response from another forum today and it makes me wonder if any other ones have this done to them.

My CE-2 has the diode tied to the switching FET as well. It is a factory production change. That diode protects the FET, and it also raises the switching threshold slightly. to give a smoother switching operation and prevent pops.