Vintage Crate Owner's Club!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott Auld, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Inspired by the "Crate vintage club owners" thread ... may I present my proof of membership in the VINTAGE CRATE OWNER'S CLUB ...

:D:D:D

Here she is: a 1986-vintage Crate G-60, a wonder of solid state power!!!

[​IMG]

Features include:
    • Sixty watts of rock!
    • 2-channels, Distortion & Clean
    • Distortion channel features Gain, Shape & Level controls
    • Clean Channel features Level, 3-band EQ and "Bright" switch
    • Real spring reverb! Just like the pros!
    • 2 inputs & speaker out
    • Red plastic 'CRATE' logo & matching piping!
    • Old-school Celestion C12M-70 loudspeaker for real 80's metal crunch
    • Endorsed by Jeff LaBar of Cinderella!
    C'mon, fellas, let's see that 80s carpet-covered dream machine!

2. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

My mom bought me this amp when I was sixteen, back in 86. Although it basically SUCKS, I am glad I have held onto it for sentimental reasons. I played this thing in a lot of high school bands, and it was nothing if not reliable. Ok, it was nothing BUT reliable. But at least it was reliable.

3. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Come on, fellas, who's with me?

Anyone?

4. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

5. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Of my older Crates this one slays for old school metal-Stealth GT50! A quad of 6V6's,lee jackson designed. Doesnt look like much. In fact the guy at the store thought it was SS. very stealthy indeed! ;) Bob

[​IMG]

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Another head version...

[​IMG]

8. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I had a 60 watt one in the 80s. It had the wooden strip running across the front. I had a friend that actually had one of the early built in a crate. They sucked very badly!

9. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Come on doood... you can't have TUBES in my crappy solid state thread!!!

J/K Bob, that looks like a really fun amp. :)

10. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

:D

Cool stuff dhdf :) I have seen pics of those :)

11. jetydosa

jetydosa Supporting Member

LOL my friend and bandmate had a Crate G60 (Id say late 80s, it wasnt carpet) and it was the worst sounding thing ever. We still give him **** about how bad it sounded and that was almost 20yrs ago now. His didnt have the Celestion, so maybe thats it ;)

12. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Haha, I forgot that they offered a Celestian in those models. As if it mattered.

13. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

I ran mine into a 6x10 cabinet for a while, and disconnected the internal speaker. It sounded a lot better that way.

Actually it was a 5x10 cabinet, since one of the speakers was blown out.

14. bilbal

bilbal Member

I never thought I would ever be asked about this amp here but I'll play. This is the very first amplifier my mom and dad bought for me. It's a Crate CR-112. I have been thinking about having someone go through it and fix her up good enough to use at home. It's a sentimental piece I will have with me for the rest of my life. I would like to get it working again. I thought I was the coolest guy around when I got my first guitar amp.

here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bilbal

15. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Nice one, bilbal :)

It's the anti-corksniffer's thread. All about vintage transistorized noise.

SWEET!

Anyone else have an old relic from high school?

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I guess my GT50 aint up to snuff?:(

miamimart likes this.
  17. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Don't get sore, rockon - -

It's too nice for this thread :D:D:D

I'm just playin', Rockon :) the fact that it LOOKS like a vintage SS amp makes it doubly cool - it's probably the nicest amp in this thread :)

18. Ben R

Ben R Member

LOL! I used to have the 100 Watt head version of this thing. The Crate Stealth... wow. I guess mine was the CRATE Stealth GT-100 (or, was it called GT-100H ???). If I remember correctly, it had 12AX7A's in the preamp section and maybe EL34's in the power-amp? They were going for that sort of hot-rodded Marshall sound. I used to run it through a straight front CRATE 4x12 cabinet with Celestion speakers. It wasn't bad, actually. I got rid of it like in the mid 1990's, I think. Memories...

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Now thats a scary thought! I realise now your looking for the "real" vintage stuff! I had a SS 2x12 chorus (cant remember the model) in the early 90's when I got back into guitar after a 10 year hiatus. I guess I didnt know better cause I remember thinking it sounded pretty good! Bob

20. bucky katt

bucky katt Member

i just joined the club this morning! and man oh man am i psyched. this is my very first tube amplifier AND my first head/cabinet combo! i just got home with my new (to me) Crate GT100H with slanted 4x12 cabinet. i REALLY dont need such a monster (this thing is likely to make the neighbors wet their beds at anything even approaching full volume :rotflmao but the deal just couldnt be passed up. i traded a Squier Affinity Telecaster with the vintage style butterscotch blonde finish and a Line 6 Spider IV 30 with the 2 button footswitch. i had been trying to trade this guitar/amplifier combo for a small-ish class a tube amp when this monster just fell into my lap. it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. it was just re-tubed and also comes with a complete spare set of Sovtek EL34's and Sovtek 12AX7's. it would appear that now, my complaints of a really really weak bottom end frequencies at low volume are a thing of the past :rotflmao so, not knowing a single thing about Crate amps (i owned a little GX15 15 years or so ago) did i do good here? the wife is likely going to be a bit irritated when she wakes up and sees what is sitting in the living room in front of the fireplace.
    It sounds REALLY nice even at very low volumes with my Jaguar Special HH, the Mosrite and the Ibanez Jet King 1. not much can make me smile much before noon but this deal sure has.
    Another killer deal off of Craigslist!

i know if there arent pics it didn't really happen so, as soon as batteries are charged i'll be taking pictures of the newest member of my collection

PS : some explanation and an introduction since this IS my first post. living on a fixed income (disability*) it is really hard to find the extra money to buy even small bits of gear let alone a large tube amplifier so most of my gear has been acquired through bartering my services (i used to be a BMW/Triumph cycle tech) and though i cant even consider being able to work even part time, i am able to work on a very limited numbers of british and european bikes (my daily ride is a Honda CB750 K4) so i make either the eextra money or barter my labor for grear. i spend a good bit of time "horse trading" on my local Craigslist and very rarely do i ever have to put any cash out that i havent made doing the little bit of side work, i got my Fender Jaguar AND my Mosrite VenturesII through craigslist and once in a great while a really kick butt deal like this comes through.

* 3 years ago i got thrown from a horse and landed on my head fracturing 3 vertabra in my neck, i was then trampled by the same horse as he was running back to the barn fracturing 2 more in my back. i had to crawl the 1/8 mile back to the barn, put the horse into a stall so he didnt run out into the road then drive a mile up the road to get cellphone service to call an ambulance. i stick to motorcycles now since theyre safer

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010