Vintage Cry Baby wah - help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jerseydrew, Jan 31, 2006.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

2. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Member

Be ready to replace that inductor. That thing is garbage.

3. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

4. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

When I had Geoffrey Teese mod my old Crybaby, he advised me to keep the TDK inductor and not swap it out.

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

If it's a cylinder ("stack o dimes"), then it's good. If it's a cube, it's bad. I think they're both red-colored.

6. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

More good wah info courtesy of VG magazine...

and let your ears be the judge of which inductor sounds good. Wah tone is pretty personal, I couldn't use a Morley with a gun to my head, Steve Vai can have a conversation with one...

http://www.vguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=25

7. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I like the TDK inductor. I also have a Jen Red Fasel, Colorsound, and a Picture Wah and I think the TDK sounds great...different but great in itself. Try before you replace.

8. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Hi Johnny G...Hows that red fasel wah sound....how does it compare to the pic wah?

9. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

The red fasel sounds more nasely and less throaty; both are very vocal; less quack; smaller sweep; more edge/less smooth; better for dirt but/worse for cleans. I love it but it is different sounding

10. Don L

Don L Member

Try it as is, you might love it.

11. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I have one nearly identical to that one and it sounds excellent. Use your ears before you hack it up.

12. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

As for your original question, your wah was probably made in the late 70's. I own serial # 2079275 that I bought originally in the early eighties (stack of dimes). I have another Thomas that I picked up just a few years ago that is #2049275. It appears to be a little older like yours (late 70's) and it is TDK. Both sound pretty quacky stock. I modded the stack of dimes version per a bunch of info I read on the net, and just some experimentation. Got it sounding really great to my ears. It still has the original stack of dimes. The TDK version is still stone stock, so a comparison of the inductors is worthless until I make the same mods on it. I think what is really more important than what type of inductor you have, is what value it is. There are sources all over the net that talk about huge inconsistancies in the inductor values, even between same types of inductors, especially through the years we are talking here. 500mh is the magic number to most, and the farther you stray from that the less vocal (or vintage maybe) you sound regardless of which inductor version you have. In my mods, I also changed out some caps, and some resistor values in mine to get it where I like it. Those changes made HUGE differences in the tone and quality of tone of the wah. The inductor is only part of the equation IMO.

13. burner

burner Member

Ha!
    Dredging up an old thread but I'd also like to know where I could find the date of production from the serial number of these wahs (my favorite wahs)

14. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

I can't find anything either and would also like to know.