Vintage Digital Synths?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by rsm, Aug 24, 2017.

1. rsm

rsm Member

Seems many dig vintage analog synths, and for good reason, but many are expensive and keeping them working adds to the cost.

Who has/digs vintage digital synths? Whatchya got?

Black Coffee and champion ruby like this.
  2. Triton76

Triton76 Member

all I have is a Tx81z which is cheap and sounds good. it's a module and 4 operator FM programming is strange at first but I like it.
    digital synth modules were cheap for awhile there but I don't see them much anymore now that they are getting older. I always have my eye out for Yamaha modules from the 90's like EX5r, A4000, TG77, CS6R.

Multicellular, champion ruby and rsm like this.
  3. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I once had a Yamaha FB-01 - a 4-op FM module that is an even poorer cousin of the DX7 than the TX81Z ;).

My oldest digital synth is the Emu XL-7 Command Station, a rompler with Z-plane filters, very flexible modulation matrix, up to 32 simultaneous arpeggiators, nice sequencer, etc. As a pure rompler, it's pretty outdated, but the fun comes from using the mod matrix and Z-plane filters, which are unique to the Emu romplers and samplers of that time. That said, I do have all ROM expansion slots loaded with cards.

Bobby D, rsm and champion ruby like this.
  4. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

I love my DX7. It came with a cartridge full of Prophet 5 style patches and I have a few other carts dedicated to pseudo grand and Bosendorfer patches. Like the DX7 many of the old digital synths have a tremendous key feel and are well worth their price just to use as a controller.

5. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I've got a JV-1080 with three expansion modules, and a Yamaha TG-100.

The TG-100 just sits in the closet, but I really like the JV-1080. I've got my eye out for a couple more expansion modules for it.

I always wanted a D-50, I might grab one if I ever see one locally.

GravityJim, sven karma and rsm like this.
  6. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

As far as what I currently have:

Yamaha FB-01
    Roland JV-1080
    Roland U-220
    E-MU Proteus FX
    Korg Triton Extreme
    Boss DR-330 Dr Synth

Of the six of them, the JV-1080 gets the most use. Each of the six have one or more patches that justify keeping
    them around, except maybe the Boss. But truth be told, the one that is least covered by software emulations would be the FB-01.

Buy lately, I'm spending a lot more time with hardware synths than with software.

Multicellular and rsm like this.
  7. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

What modules do you have, and which are you looking for?

8. rsm

rsm Member

If you have Ableton Suite, have a look at this:

https://reverb.com/software/instrum...verb-sync-roland-d-50-ableton-instrument-rack

free download, I haven't tried it.

a D-50 would be sweet.

Just like many of my guitar quests end up with Boss/Roland, many of my synth quests end up with Roland :)

edit: while it would be great to have vintage synths (Roland for me), once I start looking into them (and the prices, issues, etc.) then check the Roland Integra-7 and most/all is in there or on Axial ;) I know if I buy an Integra-7, Roland will release it's replacement... :(

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I briefly had a crush on a Kawai K5 when I messed with it in a music store. Kawai's K5 and K5000 series stood out as hardware additive synths that didn't cost an arm and a leg, unlike the Synclavier, Fairlight, alphaSyntauri, etc.

Black Coffee and rsm like this.
  10. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I've got Orchestral, Keyboards of the 60's and 70's, and Pop. These were in the box when I got it. (I waited a long time for a JV1080 to show up on my local CL).

The ones I am interested in are World, Asian, and Vintage Synth (which must be the most popular, since it's always listed at twice what any of the other ones go for). They pop up on Reverb, eBay, and occasionally Amazon all the time, I just need to get off my butt and actually buy them sometime.

rsm likes this.
  11. rsm

rsm Member

I was looking at used Roland V-Synths, D50s, etc., among others and found a great price on an Integra-7, so it's on the way :)

not vintage, but there's so much in it IMO, including many vintage Roland synth models

GovernorSilver and JWDubois like this.
  12. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

The Integra-7 looks like a lot of synth. I'd take a Jupiter 80, an XV5080, and a TD-30 in a box for $1000 used. In fact, you've kinda got me lookin' at this thing now.

rsm likes this.
  13. rsm

rsm Member

Have a look at Axial for the Integra-7!

http://axial.roland.com/category/integra-7/

I had considered an Integra-7 several times over the last two years, then dismissed it; but the more I looked at the cost, maintenance and space here (I'm nearly out of room for more gear!), it made more sense.

I found a used one in mint condition from an authorized dealer with a 6 month warranty from them for just under $1K!

I still plan to get the SH-01A boutique; SE-02 is off the table, for now ;)

14. Devnor

Devnor Member

Integra is a great box but it's not a Jupiter 80.

I've never sold a synth so I still have all my 80s and 90s digital stuff - Roland D50, JD990, MVS-1. Yamaha SY77, FS1R, EX5R, TG33 (x2), Emu Morpheus, Kawai K5m, Ensoniq TS10, Korg DW8000 and bunch of old samplers like Korg DSM-1 (I own 3) and Akai S612. These days none of this stuff gets used.

My primary keys rig consists of a Jupiter 80, Motif XF7, Korg Kronos 2, Moog Voyager, Hammond XK3c and numerous plugins. Beast mode.

songtalk, Multicellular, rsm and 2 others like this.
  15. Triton76

Triton76 Member

dang Devnor your house is digi synth heaven!

for my part I am gigging with a Jupiter 50 tonight & Sunday

rsm likes this.
  16. rsm

rsm Member

Roland Integra 7 has the Jupiter 80 engine (complete) without the performance aspects

17. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I have two JV1080's. Both are loaded with expansion cards. I use the hell out of them. Great synth modules IMO.

JWDubois and rsm like this.
  18. rsm

rsm Member

not vintage, but my mint Integra-7 arrived today. :) sounds very good just going through the presets...I'm already thinking about the rig for it :cool:

19. songtalk

songtalk Member

Vintage digital synths are my favorite thing.

I have a DX7 a DX7S a SY77 and a ESQ-1.

Also using an alpha juno-2 analog synth and a JX-305 rompler.

I will also own a JD-800, FS1R, D-50 and an EX5 before I'm done.

Also have my eye on the SE-02 and SH-01a boutiques. Boy do they look fun!

rsm likes this.
  20. rsm

rsm Member

I plan to get a SH-01A once it's available.

I also planned to get the SE-02, but I came across a great deal for a mint Integra-7, which arrived today...I've been blown away by the sounds, and barely scratched the surface. Looking forward to getting deep into it, and integrating it with Ableton and Push2

soooo, my synth gear fund is in negative territory, selling some guitar gear to offset.