Vintage Digital Synths?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by rsm, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

Not one person here has a Korg M1?

Well, let me be the first. All I have at the moment is my M1 but I just worked out a deal for a minty Yamaha SY85.

I've looked for a DX7 on and off over the last few years, but most of them are beat to hell or overpriced.

songtalk likes this.
  2. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

I still have my K2600S and DX7.

I've sold a ton of hardware synths off and just go with plugins these days. IMO the old digital synths are just as usable as the old analog synths. YMMV.

The digital synth that I sold which I probably miss the most is the Yamaha FS1R. This actually became a cult hit because somebody famous wound up using them (forgot who???). IIRC Yamaha could hardly sell them at the time. It was the 1990s. Samplers and ROMplers were everywhere. Few people wanted analog (Dance guys). And FM synthesis? That was a throwback to the 80s. Only weird people or people who couldn't afford Waldorfs would use FM. The FS1R was crazy. It was above most programmers. You thought 6-op FM with only sinusoids was tough? That's nothing. The FS1R is a crazy-deep synth. As a drawback, it took way too long to program. You really needed a PC editor for it. I was probably the only fool to program it using the panel. I eventually picked up SoundDiver.

IIRC Yamaha has put the synth engine into one of their more modern synths… I should really check that out. EDIT: The Montage has FM-X, which is like a reboot.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  3. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

I'm currently looking at picking up another synth. I found a Yamaha SY85 locally for a good price, but I could spend a bit more and get a Korg Triton about an hour's drive away. Anyone have any opinions on these?

4. Triton76

Triton76 Member

the Triton is great. I had the SY99 and didn’t look back when I got the Triton. The sampler alone is a huge plus over the SY85

5. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

The sampler is a big plus, I'm just not sure if I would get that much use out of it. Now just to confuse matters I'm looking at maybe getting a Microkorg. I've never had an analog synth.

6. Triton76

Triton76 Member

Micro Korg is not analog but Korgs monologue & Minilogue & odyssey are. Very different from workstations like Triton n SY85 which are sample based n multitimbral

7. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

8. Devnor

Devnor Member

I've been thinking about selling all my old digital rack gear except for the FS1R. Can't let that one go. I can't deal with the panel editor and I'm not motivated enough to resurrect SoundDiver so mine is preset only. At the end it's run, GC was blowing them out for $300. FM-X is very cool but there is no formant shaping like the FS1R. What is cool about FM-X is each operator is no longer limited to a sine wave. They have what is called Spectral Forms which are different waveshapes and harmonic structures. What used to take a big chunk of an algorithm with multiple operators can now be done inside a single operator. There are 8 operators. Very powerful stuff.

songtalk and eigentone like this.
  9. eigentone

Absolutely cool stuff there. I admit, I do nearly all of my FM stuff ITB these days. And yeah, I picked up my FS1R on blowout (though it was at a Mars Music). I think I paid $350. I had been eyeing it for a while. I had about 2 friends that liked FM at the time :rotflmao

FM is way up there among my favorite types of synthesis.

songtalk likes this.
  10. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

Well no, it's virtual analog or something. I guess it's supposed to work like an analog synth.

11. Javiceres

Javiceres Member

Is a 1999 Waldorf Q a vintage digital? ^_^

12. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Any thoughts on the Roland D-70? A couple popped up recently around here and I'm thinking of picking one up to use mainly as a MIDI controller and fool around with the originals sounds a bit.

13. eigentone

I thought the D-70 was cool. I borrowed a friend's for a few months several years ago. It's like a D-50 with more. The D-50 is enough of a classic that Roland brought them back.

The D-70 uses LA Synthesis, or Linear Arithmetic Synthesis. LA Synthesis is pretty simple, but these boards had cool (IMO) 80s tones. They had more versatility than analog synths, were easy to program, and were more realistic than analog. I kinda think of it as being a hybrid between a ROMpler and an analog synth. It does use sample data, but the sample data used for sounds are tiny by today's standards.

It wasn't a deep synth, but it was easy to program. As usual, Roland did a good job on the sound design.

14. Franktone

Franktone Member

The word out there is to forget the D70 and go for the D50 instead.
    The D50 and the D550 (the rack version of the D50) or the new D-05 edition of the D-50 are the real deal, not the D70.
    I've got a D-550 and it has great sounds.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  15. Franktone

Franktone Member

I've got the M1r (r for rack).
    The M1 is highly scorned by synth players because its presets are not very editable.
    Used M1's have gone up in price lately because they have become popular with some well known Louisanna (I think) bands.
    There is a software version for the M1.
    I like the sounds of the M1.