Vintage Electric Mistress AC Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Seattle Guy, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Seattle Guy

Seattle Guy Member

I just bought a '70's/80's Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress Flanger. This is the one with the green lettering and knobs at the top. It is battery powered, but has a (non-barrel type) AC jack on the back, unfortunately with no information. I power my peadals with a Voodoo Lab PP2. Anyone know whether I can power the Mistress with the PP2, by using the min-jack type connector that came with it, and if so, what setting should the dip switch be on? Looked all over the net and can't seem to find an answer to this. Thanks for your help.

2. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

I can't answer your question but I have exactly the same box as you that I bought back in 1977 approx. I also would like to power this thing with something other than batteries. Also the "Color" knob when turned past 7:00 produces a very unpleasent squeal ! Anyone know what would cause that the info would greatly be appreciated. It is an awesome sounding unit, I would love to get it back to 100% health.

Seattle Guy, sorry for hitching a ride on your post ;)

3. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I bought the same kinda pedal a few weeks ago and posted this:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98372

The original question was not what you asked for but I did ask about power and there's info about it. FWIW I'm using a standard Boss style barrel plug to mini-plug cable similar to those that can be used to power DOD pedals, fed by an isolated output from my ADL Juicebox set to 13.5VDC. It also worked well from one of the regular 9VDC outputs.

Smokehouse, since I did experiment a bit with the pedal regardless of the good advice I was given ;) the squeal you get sounds to me as if one of the internal trimmers had shifted a little bit from its original factory position ... my original question on that thread was about the trimmers.

4. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

Thanks Shakkai, What position should I look for as the "factory setting" ?
    Should I just experiment ????

Thanks again !

Smoke'

5. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I really don't know, I suppose it's a different position for each specific pedal. I marked the position where I found the trim pots and tweaked them a little just to taste some of what they did, and ended up leaving them where they were. Bjorn (maker of BJF pedals) warned me on that other thread that it could be dangereous for the circuit to tweak those pots.

Having mentioned that, I believe that over time, just by opening up the pedal to change batteries one may accidentally change their settings and that's what I guess happened with yours.

I found that by tweaking one of those (the right hand side one, don't mess with the other one since it regulates power) you could get it to squeal with the color knob set high, just like yours does. What *I* would do is set the pedal so it would squeal and then VERY gradually tweak the right hand side trim pot first one way then the other until the squealing stopped. Don't forget to mark where they are set now just in case.

6. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

No Guts.. No Glory.. huh :dude

I'll be very gentle with it, what can go wrong !!

Thanks, I'll let you know how I do

Smoke'

7. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Notice that I edited my post .... it's the right hand trimmer, try not to mess with the left one because it regulates power and that sounds like it's more risky to me and wouldn't solve you problem anyway ...

8. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

I believe I have it fixed. I tweaked the R/H pot while I had it squealing and managed to tweak it out except for max "color" where it kinda made a slight noise. Will try to get that out as well but for the most part I'm very Happy :dude

Thanks Shakkai !!

Smoke'

9. Shakkal

Shakkal Member