vintage explorer question - need help fast!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1kidc, Sep 20, 2005.

1. 1kidc

1kidc Member

Ok - so I might have found the deal of a lifetime - a guy claiming to have an original explorer. His dad bought it used in '62. so I assume it is from 59-61.....

What kind of serial # should I be looking at? And give me details to spot a scam - I'm a strat guy and don't really know squat about Gibbys..especially explorers.

This is a kind of time sensitive post. Any help tonight would be fantastic as I will probably go check it out tomorrow morning.

BTW - he wants $2,000 for it w/ original case.

Good deal? Bad deal? I leave it for you guys to tell me!

Many Thanx,
    d2

2. matte

matte Senior Member

Bring a good digital camera. I can help you.

3. 1kidc

1kidc Member

Matte - send me your email and I'll send you the pic he sent me.
    Many Thanx,
    d2

4. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

If that is a real original Korina that is the steal of a lifetime. If real and original with the original case you are looking at a $50000 + guitar. If it's a '58/59 the serial number should be inked on the back of the headstock with the first number being an 8 or a 9. If it is a 1962 the serial number will be impressed on the back of the headstock. If it is a '58/59 the hardware should be gold. If it is a '62 the hardware should be nickel. Keep you poker face on and don't tell anyone you know about it. Nothing like everyone finding out and a bidding war starts. Good luck, hope it's the real deal.

5. 1kidc

1kidc Member

Well, To good to be true I'm afraid - the guy started getting offers of $25g and up and has decided to hold on to it.....

I think it probably was the real deal and he really didn't know what it is worth. But he's getting the big picture now.

It just goes to show that these rarebirds - like the loch ness monster - still do raise their heads above water on occaision!

Thanks for your help,
    dd

6. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Did you manage to touch it, at least??
    I can understand the adrenalin rush, my friend....

JJ

7. 1kidc

1kidc Member

Nope but the guy keeps sending me updates - I guess to piss me off. His top bid is now $175,000.......

8. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Sonumbitch' !!
    pr*ckteaster....
    Oh well.... it ws too good to be true, innit?
    In the age of the global information some things just can't happen anymore, I'm afraid.

JJ

9. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

Starting to sound like he's yanking your chain a little bit. That sure went up from 2 grand pretty quick. Funny how he went from not having a clue to now having a $175000 bid. That seems high even for the current overpriced vintage market.