Vintage Fender Cabinet and Celestion Speakers

moyers

Hey guys, quick question for you all. I have a 66 fender bassman, head and cabinet, that my grandfather bought new. I'm telling you this so that you know that it is all original with no mods, etc.

I am re-loading the cabinet with new speakers (and keeping the old ones in a box.) I bought Vintage 30's for the replacements because I have them in several of my other maps and really like the way that they respond. The problem is that the vintage 30's only have 4 screw holes, and this old cabinet has 8 studs for speaker mounting. The only way to use the vintage 30s (that I can see) is to remove four of the speaker mounting screws from the front baffle, which would also entail taking the grill cloth off. Seeing how this is a 44 year old amp, and all original and clean, I am reluctant to do this.

So, here's my question. Is there a simple solution to this problem that I am missing that you could recommend?

If not, what speakers would you recommend as replacements speakers for this cabinet that would sound like the vintage fender speakers in leu of the vintage 30's that would have 8 mounting holes? It looks as if all celestion 12 inch speakers only have four mounting holes, so what other manufacturers would you recommend? I heard good things about Webers. How are they? What model could you recommend? Extra Dope or not?

I also have a Guytron GT100 with the 2x12 cabinet with celestions and an Avatar 2x12 with Eminence Red Fangs for the Britt kinda thing so I would like this cabinet to stay as true to fender form as possible.

Thanks for the advice!

Jeremy

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
I have a 66 fender bassman, head and cabinet, that my grandfather bought new. I'm telling you this so that you know that it is all original with no mods, etc.

nah... your totally showing off... ; )

seriously.. how cool is that though. You grandfather bought it new. Spectacular!

My disclaimer is that I am not a histerical preservationist... but I see no reason to mess the thing up either.

Some folks will clip the bolt... I would not. I would however carefully take the baffle out, remove three sides (not four) of staples and pull out every other bolt. Put em in a bag and save em if you want... and then choose whatever speaker you like. The grill is very still and well molded to the baffle at this point and you will have very little trouble getting it back on the same way. You can probably straighten the old staples or buy them relic'd... ok at this point I am just being an ass... Seriously tho, if you have a modicom of handiness in you this won't take more than an hour to do.

I do not recommend drilling extra holes in the speakers - or limiting your speaker choice to only those with eight holes.

Anyway congrats on the amp... very cool!

gldtp99

Eminence speakers have eight mounting holes--- so do Webers----i learned this many yrs ago when i put some G12H30's in one of my BF Bandmaster 2x12 cabs----i carefully drilled the speaker frames so the G12H30's would drop right into the stock Fender cab--- those speakers are still in that cab and sound fine...........gldtp99

RussB

low rent hobbyist
One of my peeps uses Blonde Bassmen heads, and now has 3 cabs loaded with Vintage 30's.

I simply drill an additional 4 holes in the speaker frames.

RyanFromQA

Drilling 4 holes in the speaker frames seems like the easy route if you really want to put celestions in there.

Amp_Addicted

Drilling 4 holes in the speaker frames seems like the easy route if you really want to put celestions in there.

Drilling 4 holes could also screw up your speaker frame as well. This is what I have done:

- The first time I took a hacksaw and Dremel tool to the unneeded screws on a 1966 Bassman cab. This worked okay.

- If you are careful, the screws can also be pushed out with some channel locks. The grill cloth will have some stretching-I this with a SF Deluxe Rev and Princeton.

- I am not a huge fan of the older Fender speaker baffles, so I had a friend build a new baffle of 9 ply Baltic Birch plywood on a 1966 Bandmaster. I kept the original baffle with its grill cloth intact. The plywood sound much tighter and perceptibly louder. I have since done this to most of my Fender amps as they all sound better with this modification. If I sell an amp, I put the original baffle back into place.

moyers

Thanks for the replies guys. I wound up taking smolder's advice and taking the grill cloth off of three sides, removing four of the screws for each speaker, and then re stapling the grill cloth back in place. I couldn't find any relic'd staples at Home Depot, but the standard arrows did the job fine. ;)

I just got the cabinet put back together and will be loading the cabinet with the vintage 30's this evening. Thanks for the tips!

Jeremy

kldonegan

I took a Dremel to my blonde cabinet, but the cloth is about to fall off :)

It worked fine. Glad you found a solution!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom