Vintage Fender Champ - worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RockDC, May 5, 2008.

1. RockDC

RockDC Member

I've been contemplating picking up a Fender Champ SF or BF. I never needed low wattage before but lately I've played at a couple of church gigs and fly dates with poor gear or no ability to use an amp at a good volume... even my Dr. Z Maz 18 is too loud.

I refuse to go POD or Tone Lab... so that leaves me with low wattage, light weight amps. I run inears so I don't care about the volume it can be... just the tone I get from it.

I play rock n roll, country, and worship music mostly. So if I had $200-$400 to spend on a light weight 5-10 watt amp what would you suggest?

2. schmerf

schmerf Member

I recently bought a silverface champ and am pretty happy with it. If I weren't worried about volume it has a nice range of tones from clean to very overdriven.

3. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

In good condition, the Fender Champ is one cool amp.

In bad condition, which is common, they range in sound from boring or sterile to horrible, and anywhere in between.

The good news is they are very easy to fix.

4. PFunk

PFunk Member

I have a SF Champ and it is a great nice sounding little amp. The 8" Alnico is a big part of its sound and it works great miked-up or in the studio. It also employs a RCA NOS 6V6GTA and a Bugel Boy 12ax7 as well to give a little more muscle.

5. doc

doc Member

If I could only have one amp, I'd have to think long and hard - and might just keep my tricked out Champ. Once you messed around with it it is amazing what you can do with that one amp.

6. RockDC

RockDC Member

I play a Marshall JMP 2204, and a Dr. Z Maz Jr. I love the tone of them both for what I do... but it'd be nice to have a church volume/travel amp... thanks for all the input on the Champs. I might make a trip down to the local guitar shop and plug in tomorrow... I just need to remind myself to be realistic... its not going to sound like a Marshall.

But has anybody tried running it into an extension cab or tried putting the chassis into a 1x12 combo?