Vintage Fender Guys- Help! Fender Princeton Reverb Value Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dewman, Jul 31, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I found a SIlverface Fender Princeton Reverb from 1979 and wanted to know what the street price shold be (its at a music store versus Ebay). Its an amazingly toneful amp for clean blues, classic Fender tone from that model amp. It has the boost knob which means late 70s and the logo change, but the cab appears to be nearly unmolested and from my brief inspection the speaker and everything else looks original. No oxidation on the silverface panel either- looks great. What's the value? They are asking $750, tagged at $800. That seems high to me...

Did they change much in the circuit from blackface to early to late silverfaces for the Princeton Reverbs? I know the boost switch is a less than desirable thing, but in the normal mode the amp sounds nice for what it is.

2. 1955Junior

1955Junior Silver Supporting Member

That seems high to me too.

I have never liked the tone of the boost knob later 70s PRs & DRs. I’ve probably owned 15 or more of these amps over the last 25 years or so, and got rid of every one.

I'm not sure how the circuit changed on these amps, but it did – and, in my opinion, for the worst.

If it’s clean an original, you should be OK at $550 to $650 – should you decide to resell. Having an original cover and footswitch would be a plus too.

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

other than being an ultra linear one, if you don't engage the boost it's supposed to still sound like the other silverfaces, but i dunno - it sounded REALLY sterile when i had one, even when i swapped some juicy NOS tubes in there. got rid of mine.

4. 1955Junior

"Sterile" sounding is probably the best description as any. I remember having a 1972 PR & 1979 PR at the same time (back in the early 90s). Both amps were all original, and extremely clean. There was no comparison in tone. The '79 almost sounded like a solid-state amp - compared to the '72. From my experience, the later silverfaces without the boost engaged still sound pretty lame - compared to the earlier silverface models.

It it were me, I'd only buy a '79 at a bargain price - with the intent of reselling to make a few bucks.

Some people feel that it's a 30-year old Fullerton made, hand-wired amp, and it has collector value - if nothing else.

5. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

yeah, some folks do, i suppose. i look at late 70s SFs as a "cheaper" way to get into a hand-wired amp (at least compared to something booteek or "truly vintage"), and therefore a great platform for modification. value is already "down" on the last of the SF's (compared to BF or early SF), so i have minimal qualms about giving one to a talented tech to tweak out (or to DIY on).

or at least, i have minimal qualms modding a late SF compared to a brownface or blackface amp. :stir

Oh, and to the OP......$750 sounds a little higher than i'd want to pay for a '79 SFPR.....but i'd say it's priced fairly and i'd expect it to sell at that price.

cheers,
    wade

6. 1955Junior

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member