Vintage Finish Checking (Neck) repair?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by HammyD, Feb 3, 2005.

1. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

Hi Guys,

I have read about experienced repair techs using a French Polish technique to repair and the checking and missing nitro finish on necks of vintage guitars. Does anyone know much about this technique, the advantages and drawbacks, as well as qualified individuals and estimated costs.....?

As always thanks,

James

2. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I'm sure it can be done. They also can spay tinted nitro and then sand it down, all kinds of techniqes for that stuff I'd imagine. But...

What guitars are you thinking of "repairing" this way? You may just want to let it ride. Checking is cool, and just part of the deal of vintage guitars. Personally I like the feel. By "fixing" it, you're in effect making the guitar non-original, and that's not such a good thing from a resale perspective for vintage stuff. If you don't plan on selling, and the checking is bothering you, well then go for it. But think twice.

Best,

Jack

3. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

Thanks Jack!

Its a friend's guitar and the neck is a bit uncomfortable where it transitions form the missing to the finish... An old Guild, heavily modified.

He was asking about the potential damage( i.e. moisture into the wood) of a mahogany neck without a finish.... I wondered myself as I always hear we must protect the guitar with a finish. But do they finish the underside of the tops on archtops or flattops?

Personally I like the feel of a unfinished neck but also worried about the effects of humidity...etc.

4. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

The wood has to be sealed, not finished, or have a tight grain and oil content. Well, it sounds as though modding it/repairing it wont ruffle anyones feathers, so take some time, ask around who's the guy and bring it to him. Good luck.

What model guild btw?

5. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

Thanks again Jack! Its a CE-100 or 170 variant..... Spruce top, single cut away jazz/rock-a-billy box with ply spruce top and bigsby. Beat to hell but sounds great but the Franz (sp?) pickups have been replaced with Gibson p-90's.....