Vintage Gibson ´65 SG -VS- Gibson Les Paul R9

Earplayer

Hi folks, happy new year to everyone!

Ok here it goes..... if someone would offer you an original Gibson early ´65 SG all original except the tuners.... for your R9 with all aged DMC hardware, PAF replicas, original Bumblebee caps, original Centralab Pots, etc. and a good amount of mojo...... what would you do?
I have to say that the guy is looking for a Les Paul - we live thousands of kilometers apart so either one can´t play the guitar of the other one... i always wanted an old Gibson... hm.

:JAM

Earplayer

hm, well that is true indeed. a good les paul is hard to find. i know that... but original sg´s from 61-65 go for 10k EUR (about 13.000 USD) over here... that is why i am thinking about it...:rolleyes:

bonchie123

Find out if you stand to make a decent profit reselling the SG. If so I'd do it. You can always buy and trick out another R9.

Nuclearfishin

Silver Supporting Member
What's the exact year of the SG? Is it a standard, special, or junior? The specific model makes a big difference. If it's all original, just make sure the value can get you another r9 if you don't like it. I wouldn't worry about the tone quite so much if it's all original-- some collector will buy it as long as it's in good shape and original.

Earplayer

the condition is very good actually - tuners are grovers. it is an sg standard from early 65... maestro trem etc. all original.
would need a fret job maybe new saddles and a setup.... the rest is old good looking wood...
:messedup

Nuclearfishin

Silver Supporting Member
the condition is very good actually - tuners are grovers. it is an sg standard from early 65... maestro trem etc. all original.
would need a fret job maybe new saddles and a setup.... the rest is old good looking wood...
:messedup

Hmm, an SG standard from that era is listed in the Vintage Guide at approx. $15-20k depending on condition. So, if somebody was willing to trade you that straight up for an R9, I'd be skeptical it was legit. If it is, jump all over it now. If you don't, send him my way and I'll give him my 40th anniv. R9 for a '65 SG standard. ;)

wizard333

If you really like your LP, dont trade it for anything. I have guitars I would not trade for any 50s strat, etc, and I wouldn't even have to think about it.

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
Vintage wood, or a sweet R9? Hmmm....

The only dilemma is the risk of you agreeing to the trade, sending your $4K LP off and then waiting, waiting, still waiting for the SG.

No brainer otherwise. Vintage SG all the way.

Too good to be true, or is it?

This is risky business... although I do over-the-mail trades all the time, but usually with other TGP members. How do you protect yourself? I offer credibility with my trading partner by providing my eBay user name for them to check out, and if they're an eBay member suggest they message me through eBay to confirm - works both ways. Not flawless, but something.

27sauce

Realistically that sg is worth 4k-6k right now. They were part of that group of mid level vintage that got way out of control a few years ago. They've taken s big hit and no one can get rid of them for 10k+. I've been looking for one of these, a 64 with a wide nut and nickel parts though, which should be a little more expensive. I'm waiting for them to get to 3.5k, hopefully soon!

But seriously, it's not a no brainer. If that is THE guitar you want, then yes. But IMO the historic is a superior guitar.

Jura

That would be a no brainer for me if I was sure it isn't a scam..
I would get the SG, you can always sell the guitar with a nice profit and get a new LP if you want..

STLPT

My Take on it would be.....The SG might be worth more in the future even if it's worth what your R9 is right now. If the market comes back, and it probably will, real Vintage guitars should always be worth more. Or so I would like to think anyway.....We have a zillion R9's around there days.

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
Money aside...

That guitar specs to my first ever decent guitar. It would be calling me. That said... My main player is a 2007 R8... Not sure I would trade it. The money makes sense... But I really have my R8 in a great place and working for me. Can you buy the SG?

Rockinrob86

Gold Supporting Member
The 65 will probably have the skinny neck, which is worth less. Guitars arent moving much, and the SGs standards that have been moving have been in the 4-6k range as previously mentioned. I would want to play the SG first, especially if you have a good les paul. Just because it is old doesnt make it cool.

Who thinks old guitars are cool? Who will be retiring soon and need money? Who lost money on their houses and investments over the last few years?

Supply and demand. The guys that loved the music made on 60s SGs are getting older and broker. Sure there are people born between say 1965-1985 that are making money and think those guitars are cool, but there are substantially less of them than there are people from 1945-1965. As the 45-65 group needs money, these guitars are going to continue to fill the market, and will go down.

Eventually they will reach a utility value level.

IMO, the les paul will be worth more than the 65 SG in the future, but personally I would probably like a good 65 SG more

Earplayer

thanks guys. well do you really think that a 2007 r9 would be more than a vintage gibson - i doubt it. but of course the market is cool now to get a vintage guitar...

...anyway i really want to thin out the herd and get me some cool amps again (by the way - i just missed a 71 superlead with matching 4x12 in stunning perfect condition for 2800 USD) but i think that i will just buy the guitar. my les paul is worth 7k maybe i can deal out 5k for the sg... for that kind of money the will (re)sell fast anyway.

Marble

I would do it but I don't know about doing a trade thousands of miles away. The vintage SG is certainly worth more

Nuclearfishin

Silver Supporting Member
my les paul is worth 7k maybe i can deal out 5k for the sg...

There aren't many R9's worth $7k unless it's one of the special runs or something with a braz board. That would affect my decision. Not too long ago I traded an '03 braz R9 straight up for a 40th anniversary R9 and a 2002 highly flamed R8.

Earplayer

well my les paul has one of the best paf-clones, bone nut, all aged dmc parts and hardware, original 50s harness/pots/caps of an old 60s les paul... so it is worth that kinda money - it is a really cool guitar. that is why i will keep the guitar.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom