Vintage Gibson pickguard replacement?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by snarkle, Mar 30, 2008.

1. snarkle

snarkle Member

I recently bought a great ’60s Gibson Trini Lopez Custom from a forum member; thanks to Ed Packer for a hassle-free transaction!

The only problem with the guitar (and Ed was totally up front about this) is that the pickguard had been disintegrating for some time, and the off-gassing had corroded some of the metal parts. They cleaned up surprisingly well, and I've taken the pickguard off...but the guitar looks kind of naked without it.

Can anyone recommend someone who might be able to make a period-correct (bound, tortoiseshell) replacement?

Thanks!

2. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

3. snarkle

snarkle Member

Thanks, MrTeleMan...I've asked for a quote. Anyone used this company?

4. HeyMrTeleMan

Yes. I had them make tortoise shell pickguards for two Tele's I have. Nice job. You'll want to send them the originals if they'll let you. Drawing outlines of your current one is close, but not perfect.

5. HeyMrTeleMan

Of course I'm speaking generally here. You obviously need a complete new one. I'm thinking of having them make a replacement for the black pg on my new ES339. The black doesn't look as good as, say, a new tortoise one (bound in Creme, of course:AOK)!

The point of my reply was to say they do very good work.