1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Guitar cable shootout...again

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hillbillyjazz, May 29, 2005.

1. I posted a thread several months ago, and TGP came through.

I lost the results. Sorry about that.

A year or so ago, Vintage Guitar magazine did a cable shoot out, both instrument and speaker.

Somebody out there had the article in a PDF.
    Are you still out there?

PLEASE email me @ wmhedifant@yahoo.com

Thank y'all!!!!

2. Chi

Chi Member

I'd be interested in seeing this too....

3. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

4. Hey Mala..

That's it.

Thanks a bunch.:dude

5. Blueser

Blueser Member

While I thought this was a hugely valuable resource for pointing me to manufacturers that I was not hip to, I ended up trying many of the cables in the review, and my opinions differed (greatly in many cases) to the reviewers.

My point is that although these folks were extremely knowledgeable, this was pretty scientific IMO, and I felt that much of what I found was more directly related to my guitars, amps, and music of choice.

As an example, the TR Crystal Clear cable got VERY high scores in the demo, but for me, it was too high fi, with perfect balance across the spectrum that seemed to rob me of some of the bell like highs that I got from some other cables.

Just try a bunch of them out, and use your ears, regardless of price. You will be surprised at your findings!

6. Chi

Chi Member

VERY good suggestion by Blue...i guess we can read all we want, but your ears won't lie to ya...

just wish I had the funds to try em all out!

7. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

The only cables I use have switchcraft ends
    and belden wire. Made in the good USA,
    branded ProCo, and won't rob your wallet.

8. 61SG

61SG Member

Does anyone know where I might be able to find some curly patch cords (a la Hendrix)? I seem to remember that there was a new company selling some good quality curly cords. Anyone?

9. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
  10. 61SG

61SG Member

11. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I coule not find it, but here is an article I think is as good:

Cable Summit

12. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

who doesn't find this report a little bit challenged on the science side?

What are the capacitances per foot of these cables?

Kendrick/Klotz make big mention of how a cable is simply a capacitor in the guitar amp chain in their ad, but they don't even measure george l's in their ad comparison chart??

just curious.

13. LavaMan

The Canare I use is 49 pF per foot: GS-6 The probelem with judging cables is that you cannot do it completely scientifically - sure you could line up all of the pure technical characteristics side-by-side, but ultimately what is comes down to is sonic response - and this is mostly subjective. I think Eric KirkLand did a good job of establishing a broad range of criteria to judge each cable by, using an identical amp set up and taking his time to do it - took several months. I have yet to find a better more scientific comparision test of all of the high end instrument cables- I do not think there is one out there.

14. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

How come you weren't in that comparision, did I miss something?

15. LavaMan

The cable I use was - Canare GS-6! That article was written before I started by business...

16. tedm

LavaMan,
    Thanks for the info. Do you know what the capacitance is of George L's?

If you want to send me a test cable, I'll try it and objectively report my findings...

17. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

18. LavaMan

I do not know the capacitance of George L's. I have had my cable reveiwed by two websites and numerous others all posted on my website - to include several from TGP....I have a review page on on my website...they have all been good...

19. tedm

I don't understand, you mention your 20ft cable, which I realize is Canare GS6 scored 74.5, but are you basing that on the report you link to? If so, those lengths were said to be between 12 and 15 feet, so your 20 ft cable is going to have more capacitance than a 15 ft. cable, which may make it sound better or worse, but probably not the same.

Also, the George L's has a higher score than Canare, so that's why I'm curious what the capacitance is.

20. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Maybe I don't understand.

I assume you're talking about Lava's website score/price comparison on their website home page.

The webpage says:

"Lava's Canare guitar cable at 20ft: $29.95 - score 74.50
    performed as well or better than on a 100 point scale than the following 15 or 20ft cables"

Lava makes 12, 15 and 20 ft. guitar cables.

I always thought Lava's website comparison was just saying you can get their 20 ft. cable for $29.95 (longer than some competitors AND lower price). The Lava site is translating scores for all cables to 15 and 20 ft. cables to show the price difference for their product at 20 ft.

If you want to substitute and compare 12-15 ft. cables, then the comparison would simply be $23.95 and $25.95, and even BETTER price comparison than what the webpage is showing.

If anything, I regarded the Lava comparison as conservative on price differences (regardless or what a 20 ft. cable might have been scored at, which of course would have changed ALL of the competitors' cable scores in the Kirkland tests).

That's just the way I read it (and I haven't tried the Lava cables yet, but I've spent a lot of time looking at their website and competitors' sites).