• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Vintage Guitar Magazine Honors Eddie Van Halen

talonmm

Went to my mailbox today and saw that the latest issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine arrived.

They paid tribute to Eddie Van Halen by putting him on the magazine cover. He's been on their cover before, but this cover was very moving. It certainly moved me.

Other than "Vintage Guitar Magazine" across the top, there was not the typical wording all over the magazine cover. Just this iconic photo of Eddie and that wonderful guitar he used for all those years.

Then just his name and some very small print below about some content inside. It was a great photo and wonderful way to pay tribute, as there are no words to describe Eddie's passing to so many of us that were influenced by him.

Vintage Guitar Magazine is such a great resource, we are very lucky to have them, as so many other publications have gone away. I will be holding on to this copy for a long time.

b.jpg

Sampler

Silver Supporting Member
Very cool, thanks for posting.I subscribed to that magazine for many years and stopped getting it a few years ago...it was always such a great resource and fun to read the articles, dealer ads and inventory.Maybe a trip to Barnes and Noble is in order...

ethomas1013

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome...wonder what the “vintage police” think of the Frankenstrat on the cover of that magazine...
I’m not an EVH fan, but Eddie’s impact goes beyond genres and transcends all rock guitar related magazines. I thought it was entirely appropriate and a fitting tribute regardless of whether the Frankenstrat is “vintage” or not.

In the end, they are in the business of selling advertising and subscription numbers drive what they can charge for advertising space. Putting Eddie on the cover sells magazines.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, Ed had vintage guitars, including bursts. His impact on music and the guitar was huge, so it is certainly a fitting tribute. Nothing new in the VG issue - more of a summary of stuff that has previously been published.

The question of "vintage" as it relates to the late-70s and early-80s stuff is valid. I would argue that this stuff is "next wave vintage." Quality gear that moved guitar design in a different direction. Examples would be BC Rich, Dean, early Hamer, Charvel, Boogie Bodies, Schecter, etc. Definitely a different school of design and manufacture, as well as introducing the "kit superstrat" concept.

Bob Pollock

Gold Supporting Member
Went to my mailbox today and saw that the latest issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine arrived.

They paid tribute to Eddie Van Halen by putting him on the magazine cover. He's been on their cover before, but this cover was very moving. It certainly moved me.

Other than "Vintage Guitar Magazine" across the top, there was not the typical wording all over the magazine cover. Just this iconic photo of Eddie and that wonderful guitar he used for all those years.

Then just his name and some very small print below about some content inside. It was a great photo and wonderful way to pay tribute, as there are no words to describe Eddie's passing to so many of us that were influenced by him.

Vintage Guitar Magazine is such a great resource, we are very lucky to have them, as so many other publications have gone away. I will be holding on to this copy for a long time.

View attachment 321163
I felt the same way when my issue arrived a couple of days ago. Well done VG.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
I got a little chocked up when I saw the cover. I think it was well done. For anyone that is not a regular reader of the magazine, it really stood out to me that the cover was damn near bare and dedicated to him. Their typical cover typically has a bunch of images and type making it look more like a table of contents than anything.

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
I agree very cool cover, nice way to pay tribute to the man & legend.
Too bad we don't easily have access to such magazines over here.

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
Nothing to do with vintage of course, except the magazine.

It's hard to overstate what a tsunami the 1st Van Halen record was for guitar players, Eddie broke a bunch of guitar player brains, that's for sure, and re-booted rock guitar at the time: the technique, the speed, the tight pocket, the lyricism, the tone, everything.
Too bad we don't easily have access to such magazines over here.
Where are you located? You can read Vintage Guitar Magazine online for free BTW.

Trending Topics