Vintage Guitar Shop in Dallas?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by atomicmassunit, Dec 16, 2009.

1. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

Any recommended guitar shops, particularly with vintage gear in or around Dallas?

2. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

I hate to say it, but the Guitar Center on LBJ freeway might be the best best.
    They typically have some nice axes in the Platinum room. And a few of the staff members are knowledgeable.

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/platinum-room/guitars.cfm

The only other place I found that periodically gets some nice vintage gear in is http://charleysguitar.com/index.php They do have a fine selection of Acoustics (though most are new high-end). Maybe call ahead and see what vintage electrics and acoustics they have.

Dallas certainly had fewer options than I expected when I lived there for a year.

3. CADdrafter

CADdrafter Senior Member

Speir Music is long gone

So is Larry Morgan's

Guitar Center has muscled out many shops over the years.....

4. Timmo

Timmo Member

Hate to break it to you BUT, Dallas SUCKS for guitar stores.

I mean, REALLY SUCKS!

Weird that the two biggest Guitar Shows are there but go figure..........:huh

5. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Sad but true

6. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Zoo music is worth a try. I saw some cool stuff there recently.

7. jtw

jtw Member

8. Road King

Road King Supporting Member

Yeah, but Dave won't sell any of the cool stuff. It's kind of like a collection or something.

9. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Charley's is worth a visit. Usually have a few vintage guitars and amps, and Clay Powers is as top notch as they come as far as customer service goes.

10. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

Just got back from Charley's, they have best selection of vintage stuff I have seen in quite some time. I mean really cool they have 58 330, some early 60's 345's. A whole lot of vintage LP JR's 58,57.59, some cool 70' Strats and some really cool old tele's. They had an original 73 thinline there that if I had the cash it would be next to me now. They also had lot of black and silver face fenders there. Like I said I do not know when the last time I saw this much vintage gear there but it is there.

11. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

That place used to be the most amazing dump. He had stacks and stacks of guitars on top of each other with no cases :messedup I found a home made speaker cab there with a pair of pre rolas in there one time for $75 :bong

Charleys! That guy tried ripping me off on a Strat by doing a little switch a roo on the Strat I picked out with a cheaper model when I came back to pick it up. I already paid for it and he said he'd do a free set up on it. Lucky thing I remembered the SN and found it on the rack in the back!

Arnold and Morgan scratched my LP Custom up during a set up! What was a new looking guitar was all messed up. I'm glad they went belly up! I was actually glad to see Guitar Center show up!

12. skillet

skillet Member

Might checkout http://www.andersonguitargallery.com/ -- haven't been there myself though I hit their site now and again to window shop, but I've heard good things about them from numerous people. They're in Frisco, just north of Dallas.

13. Rumblefish

:agree Bryan aint bad either.Always been a huge help to me.

14. Rumblefish

Let's see now.A&M has been out of business for about 20+ years now.They didn't go belly up.An employee messing up your guitar is not good,but that store was the best for many years for a reason.I knew almost all of the management there.If they screwed up your gtr,I'm sure they offered to make things right with you.

Seems like you don't have anything good to say about anybody but gtr center.Hmmmm.

15. Rumblefish

Let's see now.A&M has been out of business for about 20+ years now.They didn't go belly up.An employee messing up your guitar is not good,but that store was the best for many years for a reason.I knew almost all of the management there.If they screwed up your gtr,I'm sure they offered to make things right with you.

Seems like you don't have anything good to say about anybody but gtr center.Hmmmm.

16. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I liked and miss Larry Morgan quite a bit.
    Not just the store but Larry imself.

Clay is top notch at Charley's.

17. Timmo

Timmo Member

Larry Morgan was the best in Dallas when I was there and that's not really saying all that much.

Charley's Guitar Shop...........:crazy
    Don't turn your back on those guys...............:messedup

18. Freeman

Freeman Supporting Member

I'd like to say that Dallas lost alot when Larry Morgan passed...the man and the music store. I wouldn't go into Charley's back in the day because of the attitude of the owners BUT now its different...Clay,Bryan, everyone there...its a nice place and they treat you with courtesy and respect.

19. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Both cases from ancient history. Charley's is under different ownership now, and Clay is a class act. Arnold and Morgan had some good setup guys and a couple lousy ones in their long tenure.

20. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I totally agree on both points. Clay, Bryan & Steven are tops.

And D/FW lost a real gentleman statesman in the music retail business when Larry Morgan passed.