Vintage guitarist with modern gear

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by pedalbored, Feb 8, 2015.

1. pedalbored

pedalbored Member

Today's guitar player seems to be obsessed with using old vintage Fender amps and vintage guitars. They are trying to dial in that classic sound and nail that elusive tone that sometimes only Fender (and other) vintage amps and guitars can recreate. I wondered what a musician from the 1950's, who traveled in time to the present day. would end up using for gear. Would he seek out the gear they are used to from the 50's, or would he marvel at the new gear, and the boutique stuff? I realize back in the 50's, gear was not as plentiful as it is today, and there was no social media for you to compare and shop around for different gear. You basically tended to use what you saw everyone else play. But given the options we have today, what would a time traveling guitar player use today?

2. wishbenash

wishbenash Member

Robin trower uses all new/current production gear.

3. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

What he has......unless he reads the internet...any great player could use anything we have today.....we haver had it so good.

To be fair, obsessed with old probably comes from our age, ir what our hero's used, the young guys I know and work with, appreciate where it all came from, but aren't chasing vintage....I believe it is somewhat generational.

pleeece xkooz mi spelink mizteaks B-)

4. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Coincidentally just watching clips and saw this guy.
    Jimmy Capps is pretty vintage and is often seen w/ this newer Strat.
    [​IMG]

5. ROKY

ROKY Member

How can anybody know the answer to this ?

6. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

funny thing is that back in the day when the "vintage" guitarist was using that stuff it was new and state of the art.

7. xXMeebleXx

xXMeebleXx Member

Hmmm, I think that they would be using modern boutique gear. You look at all the things that have come out recently and it is hard to imagine someone still using vintage gear that have all the problems that are associated with old instruments. Not to mention the amps... sure some of the old amps a great, but there are new ones that are just as good. It seems similar to people who collect antiques, they have them for their intrinsic value. Just because they are old doesnt mean they are necessarily better.

I can think of manufactures that are making absolutely amazing gear that is every bit as good as some vintage pieces I've played. Suhr is a prime example, Mesa Boogie is another. You dont need a 50 year old guitar and a 40 year old amp to have good tone.

8. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

Funny because I was going to reply with the same answer however seeing Robin Trower in the old days and then a few years ago with his Vintage/Modern and (1) 4x12 mic/PA, it sure AIN'T the sound it used to be at all!

[​IMG]

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Blackmore now plays Engl amps
    Jeff Beck uses new-ish Marshalls, no?
    Pat Travers uses a Boss or similar pedalboard into power amp section of rental amps
    Jimmy Page plays new-ish Orange, yes?
    Michael Schenker plays new Marshalls
    Uli Jon Roth uses Blackstar
    EVH uses sig Fender
    Iomni uses new Laneys
    Adrian Belew uses AxeFX
    Steve Morse uses Engl
    Steve Howe is using Line 6
    Nugent uses 6505s
    Alex Lifeson uses H&K
    EC uses new Fenders
    John Fogerty plays a host of boutique amps, as did Lou Reed
    etc. etc. etc.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  10. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

I think his tone today is AWESOME !

11. AXEnGEAR4J

Did you ever hear it back in the day? (70's)

No comparison...

12. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

i wish this was the case but unfortunately its not.

i wish when i saw the ventures several years ago nokie was playing a vintage mosrite into a blonde showman but instead he plays his hitchhiker guitar into a custom amp dead clean.

I wish pete townshend would play an sg with p90s into a hiwatt and a superfuzz but he doesnt.

we all wish clapton would play an sg into a marshall but he doesnt

etc etc

artists, it seems are not stuck in the past, unfortunately.

could you imagine if page came out on stage with a supro and a tele people would **** their pants, lol.

dick dale is one exception. he still uses his 59 strat and original dual showmans leo made for him back in the day, and 2 original outboard tanks.
    of course his live tone is terrible so theres that...

13. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Albert Lee is one player who immediately comes to mind as one of several famous Tele players who for maybe twenty years has exclusively played his signature Music Man which initially was a fairly confronting "futuristic" design - reminded me of something Hanna-Barbera could have designed.

Probably a better contemplation surrounds a certified guitar deity like Django who created a signature tone/style with the gear available to him in the '30s but didn't sound the same when he arrived in the US in the early 50s and started using the supposed "superior" electric technology.

14. 65DuoSonic

65DuoSonic Member

What's up with those cabs Trower is using? Are they big-arsed 2x12s with diagonal speaker placement? Perhaps 2x15s? Could they be 4x12s with two of the speakers changed out for JBLs (or some other speaker with shiny dust covers)? Just curious if anybody knows.

As for the OP's question, it's really impossible to say. But it's certainly an interesting thing to ponder nonetheless :bong

15. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

What was your setup for the new album?

Pretty much the same as my live setup: My 100-watt Vintage Modern Marshall amps, my Signature Model Fender Stratocaster, and my Fulltone RTO overdrive and Deja’Vibe pedals.

What are you using for cabinets?

I had Marshall build me two 2x12 openback cabs loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s, and I’m really digging them. I used one to track The Playful Heart. Live, I use a 100-watt head with one 4x12 cab, and another 100- watt head pushing the two open-back 2x12 cabs. The closed 4x12 gives me warmth, and the open-back cabs give me ambience—like you’re swimming in the sound a bit more and its not so direct sounding.

Have you ever considered using your old Marshalls or Uni-Vibe?

Never, I’m not really into vintage stuff. I find the new equipment to be much smoother sounding. My Fulltone Deja’Vibe sounds as good as an old Uni-Vibe, and it’s more reliable and quieter. I can’t be messing around with stuff that breaks down. I’ve been using Marshall Vintage Moderns since they came out, and I truly feel that they are the bestsounding amps Marshall has made since the early days. Overdrivers with Marshalls—it’s the same formula I’ve always used, but the gear has gotten better.

16. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

[​IMG]

17. AXEnGEAR4J

They were 2X15's with JBL's

18. geekocaster

geekocaster Supporting Member

Probably a hot pink Jackson soloist with a kaoss pad

19. AXEnGEAR4J

I love 15's, this is a cab of mine loaded with 4X15 cast frame greenbacks. They will make the hair on your legs literally dance with joy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

^^^ How's the Supergroup sound out of that cab? Of course, I'm speaking rhetorically...

As for the OP's question. Why does ANY player use the gear they use? Those same reasons were valid in the past. A vintage player would use whatever gear got them the tone they wanted, felt good, and that looked "cool" to them. What tone would they want and what looked cool? The same stuff their idols or peers were using. If you reached back into the past and yanked a surf player from the early 60s into the present, it is likely they would choose the guitar and amp that sounded like what they wanted to hear and looked like the cool bands of the day.
    Some players would certainly embrace wild new sounds but look around: with all the modern choices, players tend to stick to what their genre likes and has played.
    Their mindset would be very different from a modern player. They would wonder why people would buy a perfectly good guitar and feel the need to change the pickups and hardware. Certainly a few good doses of TGP poison might ignite the fever for endless switches and swaps in pursuit of some mythical ideal but I think the behavior patterns would be fairly ingrained and change would come at a slower rate than you'd see in a modern player.