Vintage Hot Rod 62 Strat? Waddaya think?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by r8burst, Jan 18, 2008.

1. r8burst

r8burst Member

I'm considering buying a Fender Vintage Hot Rod 62 strat, and am kind of on the fence about it. Anyone have any experience with these? Opinions? Pros/cons?

Tony

2. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I love mine...seriously love it...I've owned a ton of strats, probably 20 and this one is a keeper...never leaving my possession.

3. DrBob

DrBob Member

Can't stop thinking about the Oly White one I played at a shop recently...

4. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I've only played one and I really liked it a lot. The sherwood green has had my eye since they came out with these.

5. r8burst

r8burst Member

Yeah, the Sherwood green is what I'm looking at. I have a '56 blonde closet classic with the 10/56 neck, I'm kinda used to that, and I'm just going back and forth on whether I like the bigger neck or not.

Tony

6. nsriley

nsriley Member

I have a sherwood green one and LOVE it. I've owned a few strats and this one takes the cake. It actually prompted me to buy a '57 VHR too LOL! The '62 has a great build, it encompassed all the specs I want in a strat.

7. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

I want a Sherwood Green one real bad! I will make one mine when I am able to afford it.

Mark

8. fixed

fixed Member

I ordered one from MF and it had a weird quality issue, the high E string was nearly hanging off the fretboard. I had to have the neck realigned and put some shims in, but otherwise it was a good guitar. I did have a problem with it fretting out during bends in some areas of the neck too. I ended up selling it and getting a CS Custom Classic strat, only $300 more and IMO a much better guitar.

9. nsriley

nsriley Member

I ordered mine from Sweetwater's Gallery, so I could see the actual guitar and the techs there go over the guitar before it leaves. :) Mine was perfect outta the box.

10. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

I think you should search the forum and see all the nice things we've said in the past about them. I love mine.

11. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I think Daves Guitar has some as well as `59 thin skin w/ large C profile neck around the same $. I`ve played two of them , one was great the other so so. You`ll need to play them acousticaly first and make a desicion from there. Good luck!

12. blues

blues Supporting Member

My local music store has a white and sherwood green put away in a back room. Alot of his sales are to the shred heads and not many interested in a good strat. He had about 20 nice fenders in that room. The first case he opened was the oly white hot rod. Bad Gas. I just cant swing it. Im thinking they will be there for a while since not to many people see them.

13. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

14. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I played one and thought it was tight and hard to bend.

Nice chunky neck though.

15. march

march Member

I've got one and can only wax lyrical about it.

Mine is a three tone sunburst to which I have added a three ply black plate.

They are fantastic guitars and I love the big neck.

Gor for it! :)

16. r8burst

r8burst Member

Yeah, it's looking like I might take the plunge. I've been living with it for a couple of days, and it's really growing on me. Starting to really dig the neck, too. Pretty fair amount of flame, headstock and back of the neck.

Here she is

[​IMG]

Pretty, huh?

Tony

17. Strat God

Strat God Member

Those are GREAT guitars. I would not hesitate.

18. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

My sunburst '62 HR is the best modern production Strat I've played to date. However, I did replace the pickups in mine because positions 2 & 4 were tonally somewhat darker than 1, 3, & 5...which was driving me nuts. I put in a set of Duncan Surfers (their take on aged '64 Fender's) with a non-RWRP middle pickup and the guitar now has better tonal balance and sounds a tad more "vintagey"...to me. Nice thump and focus but without mud or ice pick ;).

Other than that, the chunky neck feels great, and the frets are just large enough but don't get in the way like so many other medium jumbos do.

Like I said previously in another thread, in my mind, this '62 HR is what the SRV Strat should have been. Gutsy & vintage rolled into one :AOK.