vintage ibanez artist question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by bluesmostly, Feb 10, 2005.

1. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

I recently bought a 79 ibanez artist. It is the more expensive model with the block inlays and two small 3-way toggle switches near the vol controls.

what I want to know is if anyone knows what these toggles are designed to do. It appears that are some sort of volume cut/split coil type thing :confused:

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Out of phase, single coil, and full humbucker modes. Had the same model.

3. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

Thanks, that makes sense when I listen to the differences.

BTW Scumbag. It was your suggestion that prompted me to buy this guitar. I was looking for a LP type sound and had asked about an alternative on a recent post. I had been scanning for one of these a couple of years ago and never saw one I liked. Then your suggestion reminded me of my search and this one was on ebay. I really like it, Cheers, David[​IMG][/IMG]

4. Scumback Speakers

bluesmostly, yep, for the best in LP tone without the name and price, these old 70's Artist models are the best. I swapped out the "Flying Finger" pups for some Duncans (Alnico II neck, and Lynch model "Screamin Demon" bridge) so I could get rid of the really ice pickey tones I heard in the stock pickups.

That really made the guitar come alive. But I really wanted the old 24 fret Artist they discontinued in 79, so I got one "on the Bay" for $479 shipped, and put some custom Wolfetone pups in, a fret dressing, and some new Grover tuners (no mods needed). That guitar is fun, and with only about $800 into it all told, it's great for jams, parties, etc. If it gets nicked, no big deal. That smooth heel all the way up to the body is great for solos, too.

Glad you're liking it. Here's the one I wound up with. Cheers! Jim
    [​IMG]

5. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

6. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

Scumbag, did you have any trouble replacing your pickups?

I've got an '83 AM-50 (essentially a 7/8 scale ES335) and have been thinking about replacing the pickups, but ran into a couple of issues

(1) The stock surrounds (as shown in the pic of bluesmostly's Artist) have two holes on one side and one hole on the other side to hold the pickup. Modern surrounds, like on your guitar, have one hole on each side. Because of this, I can't just drop new pickups in.

(2) The stocks surrounds are a different size than the modern surrounds on a couple of Duncan pickups I have around here, so unless I'm missing something, I can't just drop new surrounds on w/o some type of mod.

Did you have to drill new holes for the surrounds you have on now or did you not have this issue?

I can't see drilling into a 9.8 condition classic. :(

7. Scumback Speakers

I got new pickup mounting rings/surrounds. The stock Ibanez rings come with three pickup height screws for the "flying finger" pickups. On the old Ibanez I had like bluesmostly's I had to drill a centered hole in one side of the pickup ring for the Duncan pups.

No way around it that I can see on yours unless you buy new pup rings/surrounds. Try Allparts, I got mine from them.

8. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

Thanks, Scumbag. I'd pretty much resigned myself to that, but was hoping someone else might have seen something I wasn't. Even though it won't be visible and the guitar isn't especially valuable, I just hate drill if I don't have to.