Vintage Ibanez Dove copy - any info?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by El Jefe, May 25, 2008.

1. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

I just picked this up today, saw it on craigslist for $190. I knew generally that Ibanez lawsuit models are highly regarded, so it seemed like a deal worth jumping on. It's a copy of a Gibson Dove, and says "Concord" on the truss cover, plus lists a model number of 693 on the tag inside the body. It's in incredibly good condition for its age, with just a couple very minor nicks and some light belt buckle marks on the back. It plays beautifully and sounds really good. The seller said he'd had it for about 25 years and bought it from the original owner.

Anybody have more info on this guitar? What year was it made? What kinds of wood, and would it be ply or solid? Any estimate of value? All I could find is one current auction for a similar 12-string model - it's currently up to $400 with a half day to go.

Here's a link to a gallery of photos: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w271/Loags/Ibanez/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I posted a reply to this over at ICW. Nice score. Value-wise, I'd say $300 to $400 easy. Maybe a little more. I sold a 12-string Ibanez Hummingbird for $450 a couple months ago.

3. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

My guess would be early to mid 70s. You should be able to check for a solid top by checking the edge of the soundhole. However ,solid woods would be extremely unlikely. Spruce top, rosewood back and sides.

That is a nice enough guitar with some old guitar cool factor. However, its pretty much a generic early/midperiod MIJ import acoustic. The adjustable bridge and tuners are tells that tell me you pretty much paid what its worth to me, even if folks on ebay want to spend more.

4. treeofpain

treeofpain Member

You could double your money with no problem.

The real question is: do you like the guitar?

5. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

Yep, I like it a lot. I'm gonna hang on to it for sure.