Vintage Ibanez (help identify!)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kutacrusader, Apr 20, 2008.

1. kutacrusader

kutacrusader Member

I've had this guitar for a long while now - nobody has been able to help positively ID the model yet. Some are saying it's an MC350 while others insists it's a 300 and this list goes on.

It's manufactured in 1980 - that much i know. Any guesses?

[​IMG]

2. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

3. kutacrusader

kutacrusader Member

4. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

5. MartinC

MartinC Member

In 1980, I was 14 years old. Just before Christmas, my Dad rang me from a music shop and said to me "Artist or Musician?". I chose the Artist (an AR100NT as it happens) ... but I very nearly went for the same guitar that you have ... same year.

Looks to be in good nick. Congratulations!

I still have my Artist by the way ... it's in really good shape too.

6. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Thats a Musician for sure, I had one just like it. Carlos Alomar was playing that guitar on the Bowie Serious Moonlight tour.

7. chucke99

chucke99 Member

More likely it's a late MC200DS, since it has chrome hardware with the "cloud" tailpiece. The MC150's that were released starting in 1980 didn't have the cloud, and the MC350's would have had gold hardware.

Nice guitar!

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The poster above is right ,it is a Musician .I can't use the V word on Ibanez yet ,I still just use "OLD."

9. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Martin, if your AR100 is an NT (natural) please post pictures of it! And Eagle, with all due respect (because you're a senior member) I'd stack that Musician or any Artist (solid or semi) against any Gibson or Fender from the 1970s in terms of quality and sound. Have you played a (yes) Vintage Ibanez?

10. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Wow, great thread. I didn't even know these Ibanez resources existed. In 1981 I purchased a new AS-200. I immediately had the bridge replaced to the beefier Ibanez bridge. Also, I had the pickups changed to SD JB in the neck and a jazz in the bridge--both coil tapped. I used that guitar as my main axe for 14 years! I still have it and love it. It has only one scratch on it (which I did the first week I owned it).

11. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I had one of these as my main guitar for several years. When I bought it used in 1982, it was sold to me as a MC250.

12. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Yup that's a "Musician".

13. odourboy

odourboy Member

Since we've identified that beauty, is it okay post pics of our own psuedo-vintage Ibanez? I'll take that as a YES. :) Here's my 1978 Artist model 2619 AV:

[​IMG]

14. MartinC

MartinC Member

Yes it's an NT ... I have pics, but don't have a website to put them on right now ... maybe I'll get my a** into gear and do that in the next day or so.

As far as build quality and sound goes, I'd have to agree. The neck on mine is as straight as the day I first got it. It rings when played unplugged. My only beef was the tuners, which were replaced 2 years ago with Grover Rotomatics. The pickups in it were fine, but were on the high output side and didn't sound too inspiring clean, so I replaced them with Seymour Duncan Phat Cats. I'm more of a single coil fan anyway. Now I get a thick, beefy strat neck pickup tone when using the neck pickup, a 335ish tone when using both, and a bridge pickup that gives a beautiful classic rock tone when driven (think "alright now" and that's right where it is). That's a fair range of sounds on one guitar I reckon.

15. MartinC

MartinC Member

OK ... got off my a**

Here it is. I'm going to start another thread so as not to derail this one any further too (sorry kutacrusader!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Damn, that's AMAZING!

17. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

That definitely does not suck...

18. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I had one just like the op's, ash top, same colour!

Wanted one back in 80(?) but couldn't cut a deal for my LP deluxe so waited 25 years, bumped across one and bought it. Great build quality, shrill tone with dead spots on the upper frets. Sold for a profit :)banana).
    It should have been a serious tone contender as an LP substitute.
    Oh well, where can I find another guitar?:eek:

19. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes I agree that the quality will be equal or better ,but I just reserve the word Vintage for pre 1970 USA made Guitars ,I know that will have to change as time passes .To be honest I have difficulty calling seventies Fenders and Gibsons Vintage as well, it somehow gives them a mystique that most of them don't deserve.

20. kutacrusader

kutacrusader Member

Goodness didn't expect the thread to turn into a display of drool worthy guitars!!!!:RoCkIn