Vintage Les Paul pickup-spacing and pot-shaft length questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GibsonLives, Feb 21, 2012.

1. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

Forgive my ignorance here, but I'm traditionally more of a Strat guy. Anyway, I recently got a '74 Gibson Les Paul Custom for a change of pace, and I plan to get some DiMarzio pickups for it tonight. Unfortunately, all I see available in most models and colors right now is F-spaced pickups, and I'd rather not wait. I've read varying accounts on just how important F vs. Regular spacing truly is, but I thought I'd try for a quick final verdict before taking the plunge. This guitar is curently all-original, from the bridge to the nut to the electronics (the latter of which are obviously soon to change lol). So, is it imperative for me to wait for Regular-spaced pickups, or doesn't it much matter?

Also, I'll most likely switch out all the wiring while I'm at it, since I've heard that pots with higher resistance won't sound as muddy. Anyone know whether I need long or short shaft pots for a '74 Custom? I plan to buy an entire wiring harness; anything brand or component-wise I should look for?

Thanks so much for any and all help :).

Steve